TXT record name truncates domain-tld

Hello,

I’m trying to verify a custom domain for GitHub pages. This requires me to set a TXT record with the name _github-pages-challenge-shadowban-eu, the shadowban-eu part being the name of the organization under which the custom domain is to be added. The domain is shadowban.eu.

The problem is that I can save the record, but the name gets automatically truncated to _github-pages-challenge. Another variant like _github-pages-challenge-personalaccount works as expected.

The preview above the input fields shows _github-pages-challenge.shadowban.eu has a record with content abcd..

Weirdly enough, I do already have a TXT record with the name _github-challenge-shadowban-eu for the GitHub organization verification. I’ve added that one a while back as in maybe 2 years ago, though.

Is there a way for me to add this new TXT record?

Cloudflare doesn’t display the domain name on subdomain DNS records. It’s there, though, just like in the ‘www’ record. If you use Advanced Mode to export the zone file, you’ll see it’s there.

1 Like

I’ll check that. Thank you!

Just for the record: That behavior doesn’t apply to older records then, though. Might update, if you save it again. I haven’t done that.

I’m not seeing the FQDN.

Now that I see that record, other users have experienced issues with records with multiple dashes in them.

Hold on!

I have removed it, since. I’m having additional trouble with GitHub. This is a doozy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I checked the exported records with a test TXT record and it shows as you described; Not that I would have doubted you. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This really just was my confusion, because the older record still shows the full name, seen in the screenshot above.

Again, thanks for your help! :+1:

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I have to get back to you about this, again.

My overall problem of domain verification on GitHub specifically still exists.

Downloading the zone file, I see the entry

_github-pages-challenge.shadowban.eu. 1 IN TXT "cfe20e9f114b0acdb60ab211774945"

which is expected, due to cloudflare’s interpretation of name-tld strings at the end of TXT record names as name.tld.

In the case of GitHub, though, this interpretation creates a problem, because GitHub looks for that string

The respective GitHub documentation (point 7) prompts users to verify their DNS records with
dig _github-pages-challenge-ORGANIZATION.example.com +nostats +nocomments +nocmd TXT
where ORGANIZATION in my case is shadowban-eu, which is interpreted and truncated from the name.

At this point, I see two solutions:

  1. Make cloudflare not interpret name-tld strings at the end of TXT record names
  2. Don’t name your GitHub organization name-tld

I was on mobile yesterday and had difficulty searching for the other thread I mentioned.

And just like that, my problem is solved. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Verification is done.

Love your blazingly fast record updates, by the way :+1:

Thank you!

Awww…thanks. You made my morning.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.