Troubleshooting Email Delivery Issues when using Cloudflare

This tutorial covers the steps you should take if, when you change your domain to point to Cloudflare, you no longer receive emails to your domain. If you follow this tutorial and still need further help, please let us know what you have tried and share your domain name and, if possible, a redacted screenshot of your DNS records in Cloudflare.

1. Do you have any MX records set for your domain?
You will need to have MX records set in the DNS app in your Cloudflare dashboard for you to receive emails. There is a tutorial on Adding DNS Records if you need help with this. Your MX record should point to the server that manages your mail. Examples of what this should look like are:

Where yoursite.com is your domain name, server.mailhost.com is the server name required by your mail host. The one pointing to mail.yoursite.com is often used when you are on shared hosting and your email is hosted on the same server as your website.

2. Is the name field of your MX record set to @?
If not, it covers a subdomain for mail, not the mail domain. Make sure the name is set to @ or yoursite.com on the MX record. Where it says yoursite.com in the examples above, make sure this shows your domain name here or the MX record will not work as expected.

3. Do your MX records point to mail.yourdomain.com (or similar)?
If so, make sure you have an A record set for mail pointing to the IP address of the server that handles your mail (given by your email provider or web host). (make sure this is set to :grey:).

If you have an MX record like this example

where the mail is handled by a subdomain of your own domain, you will need another DNS record. If you use mail.yoursite.com, it needs to have the name mail, for example. It will need to be an A record pointing to the IP address of your server, shown as 192.0.2.1 in the example below:

4. Do you have an A record (normally mail) pointing to the IP of the server where your mail is hosted?
If you have created an A record, as shown in step 3, make sure this has a :grey: next to it. If it is :orange:, click the cloud to turn it :grey:.

When you connect to the server to retrieve mail, you must connect through a host that is set to :grey:, i.e. if your mail program is set up to connect through example.com which has an A record set to :orange: then it will not work. You should probably create another hostname like mail.example.com or smtp.example.com that is set to :grey: so it does not affect your website config on Cloudflare. Once you have another entry like mail.example.com set to :grey:, you should modify the hostname that yous program connects over to mail.example.com rather than example.com.

In practical terms: I will use Outlook as an example, it is similar to other email programs/apps. When you configure an email account on Outlook, it will ask for a server name. This is often provided by your webhost as something like mail.yoursite.com, in this case, you must have an A record for mail pointing to your server IP, that is set to :grey:. If you try to use a subdomain/domain that is :orange:, your mail will likely not work.

5. Do you have a spam module (or similar) on your server that expects to see your origin IP?
Some web hosts automatically install a spam module on your server, this is especially common for cPanel. For example, ‘Spam Experts Routing’, which expects mail through the domain name. When you have Cloudflare enabled, it can cause issues with this as the IP address seen is not that of your server. The solution here is to update the module with your server hostname (or in some cases, IP) instead of your domain name. You should contact your web host if you are unsure or need assistance with this.

This is a Community Tutorial, most are wiki posts, so can be contributed to by Regulars and MVPs here, you can view all the community tutorials here. If there is a tutorial you would like to see, you can request one here.

Other great resources on this community include the Community Tips . These address best practices when configuring Cloudflare, how to fix issues you may see, and tools to troubleshoot. Also you can view Expert Tips, great posts on the community that can help users with a similar issue.

We encourage users to check out these great resources and the Cloudflare Support Centre before posting

6 Likes
After setting up cloudflare account, email is not working
My Emails Stop Working I Can Not Send Or Receive
Email forwarding not working
I can't send / receive mail
MX record correction to domain
My emails stopped comming - not reachable
Mail issue through Cloudflare
Email Web Client cant access mail server
Cloudflare, cPanel and MX records/e-mail
My emails are going into Spam i need to point my emails to cloudflare account how to do that please help me
Cloudflare broke my emails
NOT Getting My Emails
MX Records - Email not working
Changing nameserver - email setup
Mail.example.com not resolving
Email not getting thru
I cannot connect to my site, I get "Your connection is not private"
Email not working in another accoint when ssl added
Email not getting
I have problem!
Setting up mail service using Cloudflare
Email not working on wordpress website
Email con subdominio diferente ip no funciona
Email issues with cf
After CDN from Cloudflare Cannot Configure Email on Android Mobile
How do I direct Gmail import to my site on Cloudfare?
Hi first post, trying to work something out
Email routing
Community Tutorials
Email password and ID
Email password and ID
Email issues with InMotion Hosting
Contact form PrestaShop 1.7 CDN
Dns testing
Setting up my hosting account. Help with MX / Mail please
Mail is not sent to webmail i.e @domainname.com
Mail does not work in Outlook or Thunderbird with Cloudfare // El correo no funciona en Outlook o Thunderbird con Cloudfare
Configuration dns email
DNS Propagation issue to MX/Mail Records
.gov.jm cloudflare
Mail Tutorial Feedback
How to Set Up Email
Cloudflare and Email
Gmail Forwarding
Website Not showing MX Records
Mail issue pls help
Email Bouncback After Initiating CDN
Is SNI Enabled for Mail Services?
Cloudflare NS Update
Mail is not received anymore
After adding my website ranala.com to Cloudflare I didn't receive email any more
Mail sent but not received
I want to link my domain to godaddy email cpanel
Name Servers
MX records not propagating correctly
Free plan for a video game website
Website only
Changing name servers will affect MX records?
After activate SSL My webmail email are not working
Mail server unreachable
Mail not responding
Struggling with DNS setup for email - Help?
Adding and accessing webmail in cloudflare domains
Do not receive emails
Problem with email
After Active Cloudflare SSL NOT received WEBMAIL i.e ([email protected])
Mail does not working after switching to Cloudlfare
Cannot get email working since moving to Cloudflare - what are the correct settings under DNS?
Hostgator Outlook 2016
Smtp doesnot work
Connection Error. Mail from webmail account not being retrieved in Gmail
Connecting cpanel webmail to gmail
DNS NAMESERVER
E-Mails not deliverable or arrive very late after turning on Cloudflare
DNS Changed, no effect
Add email pro godaddy in domain
Yet another mail delivery issue?!
DNS setting in Cloudflare for working smpt server
Pending Nameserver Update 5555
Webmail Not work after using Cloudflare