Troubleshooting Email Delivery Issues when using Cloudflare

Getting-Started

This tutorial covers the steps you should take if, when you change your domain to point to Cloudflare, you no longer receive emails to your domain

1. Do you have any MX records set for your domain?
You will need to have MX records set in the DNS tab of your Cloudflare dashboard for you to receive emails. There is also a tutorial on Adding DNS Records if you need help with this.

2. Is the name field of your MX record set to @?
If not, it covers a subdomain for mail, not the mail domain. Make sure the name is set to @ or yourdomain.com

3. Do your MX records point to mail.yourdomain.com (or similar)?
If so, make sure you have an A record set for mail pointing to the IP address of the server that handles your mail (given by your email provider or web host). (make sure this is set to :grey:)

4. Do you have an A record (normally mail) pointing to the IP of the server where your mail is hosted?
If so, make sure that the A record is set to :grey:, NOT :orange:.

This is a Community Tutorial, most are wiki posts, so can be contributed to by Regulars and MVPs here, you can view all the community tutorials here. If there is a tutorial you would like to see, you can request one here.

Other great resources on this community include the Community Tips . These address best practices when configuring Cloudflare, how to fix issues you may see, and tools to troubleshoot. Also you can view Expert Tips, great posts on the community that can help users with a similar issue.

We encourage users to check out these great resources and the Cloudflare Support Centre before posting

5 Likes

My emails stopped comming - not reachable
After CDN from Cloudflare Cannot Configure Email on Android Mobile
After setting up cloudflare account, email is not working
My Emails Stop Working I Can Not Send Or Receive
I can't send / receive mail
Email issues with InMotion Hosting
Email routing
Do not receive emails
Hi first post, trying to work something out
How do I direct Gmail import to my site on Cloudfare?
Cannot get email working since moving to Cloudflare - what are the correct settings under DNS?
Email issues with cf
My email is not working
Problem with email
Mail does not working after switching to Cloudlfare
After Active Cloudflare SSL NOT received WEBMAIL i.e ([email protected])
Smtp doesnot work