Trouble with nslookup on windows

Hi all, could use some help please. I have a domain that I want Cloudflare to handle DNS for, it’s currently on Network Solutions. I don’t want to transfer the domain yet, just DNS for now. I think I did everything correctly but I’m seeing something strange with nslookup for Windows and I don’t know if it’s an actual problem because I am a novice with DNS, or if this is expected behavior. The domain is frazierlab.com and I switched the name servers Network Solutions to Cloudflare on 4/22.

When I try nslookup on a Mac or Linux machine and point directly to beth.ns.cloudflare.com it resolves frazierlab.com no problem. but when I try that on my Windows PC I get “no response from server”. This is only when I try nslookup in interactive mode. If I try nslookup with a direct command (nslookup frazierlab.com beth.ns.cloudflare.com) it works fine. So I’m not sure why this is happening. At first I thought nslookup on Windows isn’t playing nice with Cloudflare’s DNS but that doesn’t make sense. I think I’m also confused because when I check cf.sjr.org.uk it’s showing things I don’t understand, and when I try a wireshark on my machine I still see ns11.worldnic.com. I was thinking that DNS has not fully propogated until I don’t see anything from worldnic.com anymore?

DNSSEC is off
I am not proxying this at all, it is set to DNS only
Old servers: ns95.worldnic.com and ns96.worldnic.com
New servers: beth.ns.cloudflare.com and keenan.ns.cloudflare.com
This domain has no infrastructure yet, no mail or web servers

Thanks for any help!

Windows:

Linux:

cj.sjr.org.uk:

Wireshark:

From the output, I would assume that you don’t have IPv6. Look at this:

server 1.1.1.1
Standardserver:  one.one.one.one
Address:  1.1.1.1

> cloudflare.com
Server:  one.one.one.one
Address:  1.1.1.1

Nicht autorisierende Antwort:
Name:    cloudflare.com
Addresses:  2606:4700::6810:85e5
          2606:4700::6810:84e5

> server one.one.one.one
Standardserver:  one.one.one.one
Addresses:  2606:4700:4700::1111
          2606:4700:4700::1001

> cloudflare.com
Server:  one.one.one.one
Addresses:  2606:4700:4700::1111
          2606:4700:4700::1001

*** cloudflare.com wurde von one.one.one.one nicht gefunden: No response from server.

So I wouldn’t worry if I was you.

1 Like

Ok, I neglected to mention in the first post that I had IPV6 disabled through the registry. I did enable it but it didn’t work. Thanks for the help!

I’m talking about IPv6 on your computer, where you run Nslookup.

I guess Nslookup automatically chooses an IPv6 address from the possible addresses for the Cloudflare nameserver.

But as I said, I wouldn’t worry.

sorry, I meant I did do that on my Win10 machine that I ran nslookup. thanks!

I found the answer on my own, it is an issue with Windows DNS and IPV6 - networking - Why does Windows 7 try to resolve DNS against IPv6 DNS Servers? - Super User

If I try interactive nslookup and then enter “server beth.ns.cloudflare.com”, I get “no response from server” but if I try “server 108.162.192.103” it works fine. I have IPV6 disabled on my machine. Hope this helps someone else!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.