Transferring Domain: Worries with DNS and Downtime

Alright, hi guys I am new here. We just registered to Cloudflare!

Okay, I need your help, so let me try to make this as simple as possible:
(Thank you in advance for your time)

1. I want to transfer my domain from Siteground Hosting (that currently has our live website up) to Clouldflare.

Problem: I don’t want to have downtime on my live site (it seems like lots of people are having DNS nightmares when changing nameservers due to downtime).

Solution What I need is a straightforward method to transfer my domain from Siteground to Cloudflare without any downtime to my live site. How?

Thank you.

Hi @jjbrooks,

Having the two authoritative DNSs configured in the same way during propagation, both users who receive the old nameservers and those who are already “seeing” the new ones will get the same information, avoiding the downtime.

To achieve this:

1. Follow the steps to add your domain to Cloudflare, but do not change the nameservers yet;
  2. Then add the DNS records currently configured for your domain (if these are too many, you can import them instead of creating one by one);
  3. And, finally, change the current nameservers to those provided by Cloudflare.

If you wish, you can do all other Cloudflare settings (Firewall, Cache, Speed, and so on) before effectively changing the nameservers, but this wouldn’t be necessary to avoid the downtime.

I hope I made it clear. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

2 Likes

I would also recommend leaving all your DNS records to :grey: until you have an active certificate status in the crypto tab if you use HTTPS to avoid any issues there :slightly_smiling_face:. Once that is active, you can then set to :orange:.

2 Likes

Thanks, giving it a try right now! Appreciated so much! Just a quick question. In Cloudflare, once my domain is added, am I able to create subdomains here? (Sorry for squeezing that extra question!)

1 Like

If the subdomains are set up correctly with your host / on your server, then you just need to add the correct DNS records in Cloudflare for it to work.

2 Likes

Yikes, looks like my domain, SiteGround, does not have an option to download the DNS.

Therefore, you will have to manually create the DNS records one by one.

This is a Siteground issue, not related to Cloudflare.

1 Like

Thank you to both of you for the help. Very clear instructions. Everything went perfect. My domain is now transferring from SiteGround to Cloudflare. You guys are the best.

2 Likes

Really glad that the transfer went well for you, hope you enjoy using Cloudflare and please just let us know if you have any further questions :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.