Transfer .com domains from Namecheap; "Something went wrong"

Attempting to transfer a few domains from Namecheap to Cloudflare. All domains are .com, have not gone through any change of details etc. in roughly a year. I have all of them managed in Cloudflare at the moment so they appear on the transfer list as already in Cloudflare.

I select them, enter the Authorization code (ensure they are unlocked on Namecheap) and then proceed to the registrant details, I have ensured they match what I have on Namecheap.

Once I click transfer it fails and just says “Something went wrong”, then it just states under each domain name: “Please retry transferring this domain. You have not been charged.”

The same result occurs if I try to transfer domains individually.

Any idea why these would occur?

Are there any holds on the domains? A whois against the domain name will show if there are any messages like Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited. If there are, your current registrar can lift those and then you can retry the transfer.

1 Like

Thanks cloonan - I tried lookups and all is reporting okay for the status, nothing that stands out as an issue. Domain is originalwardrobe.com if that helps - I just noticed I need to disable WhoisGuard, so have now done that. I guess just wait a while to give that time to apply?

1 Like

Few hours now and still no luck - any other ideas?

Just got off support with Namecheap and they are seeing no issues on their end, no reason why it can’t be transferred. Is there any sort of live chat support for Cloudflare or just these forums?

You can open a ticket:

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help. If you receive an automatic response that does not help you, please reply and indicate you need more help.

Make sure you post the ticket # here so staff can keep an eye on it.

1 Like

Thanks sdayman!
I’ve created the ticket (#2016408), see how we go!

1 Like

Hi @matt84, sorry for the ongoing issue with this. I added myself to your ticket and am keeping an eye on progress. I see you indicated you disabled WhoisGuard, I also see the data is still redacted. I’ve looked, but cannot determine if there is a lag for this to take effect/nor if it matters if the contact information is visible (i.e., maybe whoisgaurd just blocks a transfer and it does not matter if the data is visible via whois or not). That may be a good question to ask the folks at namecheap.

1 Like

Thanks @cloonan I chased up Namecheap again and they said that it is not necessary to disable WhoisGuard (I’ve disabled it anyway though). They said once again it looks all fine from their end and to chase Clloudflare, have attached the transcript to the ticket :slight_smile:

1 Like

In case anyone is reading this, it turns out I had an old payment method attached to Cloudflare (card that I’ve since replaced). That was causing it to fail, some better error messaging would probably have helped. But regardless - all sorted now!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.