Transfer both the domain registration and the zones to another Cloudflare

I need to transfer both the domain registration and the zones to another Cloudflare account.

• Registering the domain does not work because I first need to add a site/property.
  • Adding manually the domain to the “new” account does not work because it prompts me to change the nameservers, and Cloudflare does not allow me to do that.
  • Asking the support in https://dash.cloudflare.com/ACCOUNT_ID/support does not work and prompts me to ask here. Where there are already other similar threads that occlude that only the support can help.

Help me, I’m stuck and I no longer want to maintain this domain in my account. I want to transfer it to their owners account.

You can’t currently move domain registration between Cloudflare accounts. You will need to transfer the domain out to another registrar (at which point you can then add the domain to the other Cloudflare account), wait the ICANN-mandated 60 days if applicable, then you can transfer the domain back to Cloudflare under the new account.

1 Like

Ok, this is, at best, a workaround and I cannot consider it as a solution.

The conclusion is: there is no solution and Cloudflare does not care about the registry nor the customers using it. Until Cloudflare fixes their stuff, this issue is not solved.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Can you please clarify what are you trying to accomplish that you need to move the domains to another Cloudflare account? Depending on what you’re trying to achieve this may not be necessary.

Kindly,

• Cloudflare Registrar is only available for customers that use Cloudflare as their authoritative DNS provider (also known as a full setup). You can read more at Register a new domain · Cloudflare Registrar docs.

• You can’t currently move domain registration between Cloudflare accounts. You will need to transfer the domain out to another registrar, wait for the ICANN-mandated 60 days if applicable, then you can transfer the domain back to Cloudflare under the new account.

I have a few client’s domains in my account and I no longer want to maintain them. I want to move them to their responsibility, they should be able to manage them entirely and pay for them. At the moment billing is tied to the CF account. I also have other properties, domains, etc in my account and therefore I cannot simply give them credentials/change the email. I could give them permissions to manage the DNS but I don’t want any connection with them and I fully want to off-board the project.

Yes for me that’s OK. I want to continue being a CF customer since the project does use CF functionality - not just the registry.

This means that I need to stop being you customer, pay for another registrar and then become your customer again just to change the billing profile??? That sounds ridiculous.

It means that you need to tranfer the domain into your customer’s account at another registrar. If your churning customer wants to use Cloudflare, they can add the new Cloudflare nameservers assigned to the domain by their Cloudflare account at their own registrar.

Once the domain has been at their registrar for sixty days, they can transfer it to Cloudflare registrar in their own Cloudflare account if they wish.

Everyone knows it is inconvenient, but it is a current limitation of Cloudflare registrar. It may change one day. Until such time, it is the only way to move a domain that uses Cloudflare registrar into another Cloudflare account.

In theory I had everything setup and I could just leave them using cloudflare, all billing centralized.
Now I have to setup another provider, transfer the domain, and have to do all this work together with the client for a few more months, to change what is basically an access/billing management rule.
And this for at least 10 domains/properties.

This is not a good customer experience, not even mediocre. It’s insane.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.