The way you handle bandwidth over-usage

I lost track of whom to tag at this point :crazy_face:

This is what exactly happening to my site today. The Cloudflare deactivated my service suddenly without any warnings or notices before.

In the first email, it didn’t providing any detail about what exactly I violated and how should I fix the problem. As a result, all my services were offline and I even had no idea how to explain to my users what was happening.

Honestly, I do agree that Cloudflare should give us a buffer period before taking such an instant action. And I also hope they would indicate the problem in detail so that we could figure it out and solve it immediately. After contacting them through several emails and upgraded to business plan, my site so far is still waiting for verification.

Cloudflare is providing a great service among the world. I believe they will take highly respect to any clients’ business as they are own. I wish there would be more conversations between us if any issue in future.

@0day Hmm what a coincidence. If there are more people on same boat that would explain the radio silence of the support people, they can’t keep up.

I agree:

1. Let as know sooner, before disabling.
  2. Instead of disabling put the domain on “gray” because if we were using flexible https the sites will not resolve, going offline! I realized this too late.

I knew about video limitations from old Twitter discussions, but I had no idea if Cloudflare had limitation for other type of content (they mentioned images as well in quote above).

They have to make it more clear and they have to warn customers at least few hours before disabling website. I’m one of the biggest supporter of Cloudflare but I think disabling websites without any prior notice is wrong. It might be considered less wrong if they did this to customers on free plan, but for Business plan? Really?

As OP already mentioned, we must have idea about limitations, how much traffic will get us in trouble for each plan and other limitation there is. They had more than enough time to warn OP after few days they detected traffic spike instead of waiting until it reached 140TB and disabling website without warning.

Note: I am not affiliated with CF.

I’m not trying to start a flame war here, but it looks like the business plan was bought after getting the email (and maybe after creating a support ticket), so I can understand why they would immediately disable a free/pro website.

Also note that the trust and safety team will always take a while longer to respond, as I imagine they need many people to sign-off on a decision like reinstating or taking down websites.

If that is the case (and you are right, the wording would suggest that) it would change the situation a bit. However I do agree with @nikoloz about the service suspension and I am honestly a bit surprised that traffic is a problem at this point as it has always been my understanding that Cloudflare does not throttle, limit or suspend (unless there is obvious abuse, which I am not sure there was in this case).

@Judge I don’t know how to quote here but to answer that:

I’m not trying to start a flame war here, but it looks like the business plan was bought after getting the email (and maybe after creating a support ticket), so I can understand why they would immediately disable a free/pro website.

Yes, business was bought after i received an email saying that the site would remain disabled for 5-7 days unless i pay, some sort of ransom if you will: From the actual FAQ they sent you via email:

Also note that the trust and safety team will always take a while longer to respond, as I imagine they need many people to sign-off on a decision like reinstating or taking down websites.

They are:

1. Quick to disable.
  2. Incapable to warn you.
  3. Very slow to re-enable.

It did. The first response to the ticket was < 10 minutes, second in under 15 and at that point it was under the free plan.

This was sent 18 hs ago i never heard back from you afterwards that’s what i’m complaining about, you never explained anything to me.

So we should do something like…

Your visitors will be directed to your origin server, where your website is hosted, instead of first passing through Cloudflare’s performance and security service. We’ll resume routing traffic through Cloudflare once the issue has been resolved.
We review deactivated websites every 5 to 7 business days. To check your status, please log into: https://dash.cloudflare.com/overview/yourdomain

Sounds like a brilliant idea… hopefully people who receive the notice will read it. :roll_eyes:

Sorry not everybody is an expert like you. If i knew disabling cloudflare would cause the site to go down because of flexible https then i would have installed a cert and moved to incapsula.
Instead i paid your ransom money.
You won what can i say, i got owned. You can all laugh at me now.

Well sure. I can understand how that can be frustrating.

Our support engineer tried to explain what was going to happen next. And as you pointed out in your last response to the support team before opening this thread the site itself is reenabled.

i think my site will also be f$%^& soon due to cache. :expressionless:

That’s probably nothing to be worried about. As long as you aren’t using it just for zip/rar/tar files, videos, or non-web content you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. The actors above were deactivated due to multiple terabytes a day, and probably because their account wasn’t using the proxy :orange: for any actual web content. Non-web content is still allowed in moderation according to TOS section 2.8

Use of the Service for the storage or caching of video (unless purchased separately as a Paid Service) or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content, is prohibited.

What about non-video content? free .apk android package? Is it allowed?

My website is about downloading .apk files I think I will be booted out anytime soon.

Android APK files are actually ZIP files with different extension. If you change .apk to .zip, you can uncompress them using any zip tools.

My suggestion is to keep Cloudflare proxy ON, disable caching for .apk files and use Spaces from DigitalOcean, AWS S3 or Backblaze B2 (cheapest otpion with free traffic but slow for non-US visitors) as file storage.

I don’t think disable caching will help him in any way, from my understand cf don’t want to be used as “heavy cdn only bandwidth” service, so as long as the apk will be served from orange cloud they will cost them money as its still move through their servers

you can take all the “non regular” web files into their own subdomain, grey cloud it, and put it into its own cdn service, that’s way your website will still be protected and all the non web stuff will not moved through cloudflare

but I am just a visitor here for real answer I guess you need to ask the support about your use case

AFAIK main issue is using cache as storage but maybe @cscharff can clarify this for us?

@cscharff any input sir?

whats the point of using cloudflare if you cant proxy all traffic? then people will just ddos the servers ip. i dont care about cashing i just want my sites ip hidden behind ddos protection for free