The name servers required to add a domain to my account have changed, breaking our api

The name servers required to add a domain to my account have changed, breaking our api.

How often does this happen? How do I prevent it from happening?

The nameservers are assigned on a per-domain basis. The API returns the correct nameservers when you add a zone, please use them rather than guessing.

1 Like

The same two name servers have been used by our servers for 4 years. We aren’t guessing.

The same two name servers were used by every domain in our account, and the new name servers are the same for every new domain added to the account, so they aren’t assigned per domain, but based on the account in some way.

Your reply is completely invalid.

With respect, you are guessing with regards to what nameservers are used for newly added zones.

While they do tend to be assigned similarly within an account, this will not always be the case as you have observed. You cannot predict the nameservers before a zone is created. Most commonly it will be different for a domain which is already on Cloudflare as unique nameservers are needed, but there may be other cases.

The API provides you with the nameservers when you create a zone. Use those nameservers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.