Terms of Service Point 2.8

I know this topic has been covered many times, but there has never been a clear/concise answer to this. Therefore, I would like to start a discussion that finally addresses this issue.

The rule states:

However, Cloudflare’s website does not clarify clearly exactly what service is required. Even asking support, it is difficult to get an answer. I already have an issue open to address this and it is still being bounced back and forth without getting a concise and clear cut answer. It seems that, the potential two violations are, caching content - which could be addressed by basically cache bypass rules for any non-html content. Secondly, the proxied cloud option which therefore means “total data served” on the domain overview increases because it is data that passes through Cloudflare. Does that mean that one or both of these rules are in violation of this rule?

Additionally, since Cloudflare is a CDN network, then why the differentiation and restriction on this? Since other CDN providers allow non-html content to pass through their networks. I can obviously understand that Cloudflare do not want to allow free users to overload their network, and since other CDN’s are paid and do allow non-html content, then when can’t Cloudflare clearly and concisely list the paid services that do permit non-html content. It would even help if they decided to limit exactly how much non-html can pass through Cloudflare depending on which package bought, be it Pro, Business, Enterprise or whatever. If Cloudflare wanted to restrict X amount of GB for each Pro, Business, Enterprise package, then this would be clear, and everyone would know where they stand.

I do not understand how Cloudflare can claim to be a CDN, and then restrict in such a way, when other CDN networks do not restrict it - you pay for what you use and what you push/cache through the CDN network. If you are using a Cloudflare paid service like I am, then you need clear and concise information to be informed of what you can do with the package that you have purchased. There is absolutely no information on Cloudflare’s website that explains what package or what level of non-html content can pass through their network.

Cloudflare seriously needs to address this issue, and clearly mark the services and list exactly what service permits such use of their network with non-html content. This question has come up so many times before, and still there is no 100% clear cut answer to it.

1 Like

Cloudflare has absolutely no interest in being a CDN. Serving cached content is among the least interesting things that they do.

Section 2.8 boils down to DBAD for self service agreements. Caching isn’t explicitly called out in 2.8 and I doubt the cache status of an object matters. Cloudflare has a number of paid services for non-HTML content delivery which have their own pricing and terms. If you’re having trouble determine your D status in relationship to section 2.8 you should probably adopt the appropriate additional service or select a different provider.

And what is the appropriate additional service to provide downloadable content (iso, zip, tar)? This is the problem, there is no way to find out simply and quickly what is required. Sure, they have the stream service, but that is obviously for streaming audio/video. There is no clear definition as to which services would provide what I am after. Or perhaps, it’s more a case of they don’t have a service, and this is why. In that case, it would be far better to just say, we are not a full CDN, we are just a CDN for html content, so html/css/js and that is all.

That would then be a clear and concise piece of information. Because this hasn’t been answered, it means that this is more likely the case. But it would be far better to commit to a response than just leave it as being ambiguous and open to interpretation, which may cause people to become foul of section 2.8 and end up being blocked or whatever action Cloudflare then takes.

1 Like

What is even more frustrating is getting a reponse that says we do allow some non-html content, but if it exceeds some unknown limit then you can then fall foul of section 2.8. I’m am afraid to even do anything with my site without knowing where the limits are. That also needs to be clearly clarified. That is why I prefer that a definitive answer is provided, so that customers know exactly what the limits are. Or that if you want to provide downloadable content, then you need to buy exactly this package or that package.

1 Like

Every time I have heard this argument from someone it turns out they have set up a file locker or torrent service. That clearly falls into the big D category of DBAD.

Cloudflare doesn’t care that your 10 MB zip of your graduation photos from 1992 were downloaded for the class reunion and consumed 1GB of traffic vs your website’s 90MB of HTML traffic this month because y’all are planning your reunion.

If you’re building a service to deliver custom software packages to thousands of clients a month…. You need an Enterprise plan or another provider.

6 Likes

Please do not make assumptions on what a customer of Cloudflare is attempting to do, by assuming that I want to make a file locker or torrent service. If I was looking to do something like that I would explicitly say so. I said downloadable content by giving examples of iso, zip, tar because I was looking to provide application installers to some of our clients.

However, thank you for your reply at least it basically states you need an Enterprise plan to create a website with downloadable content, irrespective of whether I only have a handful of clients for downloads, or thousands.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.