Temporary change of DNS-servers?

I have my domain registered with Cloudflare registrar and want to add it as an addon Domain in cPanel, but in order to do that, I have to temporarily change the DNS-servers to the ones provided by the web hosting… Is this possible?
And if so, how could I do that?
I just need to change it for the moment. After it is added to the cPanel, I can safely switch back to the DNS-Servers of Cloudflare.

Not possible…yet. And there’s no official word on when that will become possible.

1 Like

Won’t ever be allowed as per the TOS:

SERVICE USAGE.

1. Nameservers . Registrant agrees to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. REGISTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IT MAY NOT CHANGE THE NAMESERVERS ON THE REGISTRAR SERVICES, AND THAT IT MUST TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY REGISTRAR IF IT WISHES TO CHANGE NAMESERVERS.

But you have another and in fact much better option.

Add the site in Cpanel as an addon site. Then go to the zone editor or whatever they call the DNS settings in your version of Cpanel. Filter it to show only the dns settings for your addon site. Those settings are what you need to copy over to Cloudflare under DNS.

So for example the most important will be the A record, you want to copy this over to Cloudflare. If you want Cloudflare to cache this site then make sure the orange cloud is checked and lit orange. Do the same for obviously MX and everything else you want this Cpanel shared host to manage for your domain.

By the way this is a better option because your Cpanel shared host probably has poor DNS servers and by changing the NameServers your obviously making them now your DNS provider.

I’m sorry if I sound rude but did you actually read what I explained in my post?

I appreciate the help but really hate it when you suggest a solution that was mentioned and confirmed to not work.

Also as a side-note did I say that I want to only change it temporarely to add it to cPanel… I would’ve changed it back after that.

When you copy over the DNS/Zone Settings from the Host’s Cpanel, is the primary “A” DNS entry have an orange cloud next to it? If so it’s being cached and your webhost wouldn’t see the proper DNS entry when they pinged it. The Cloud needs to be gray on that DNS entry for your Cpanel provider to verify it.

I don’t quite understand what you mean with that.
What “primary A DNS (Record)”?

Right now I have no DNS entry pointing to the hosts IP. I only have an A Record for the main domain name that points to an IP for a game server and also an SRV Record to change the port for it.

Also, I can’t quite see why adding an A Record would suddenly change stuff when you need to (temporary) change the name server to register the domain in the cPanel.
I mentioned it multiple times now and I sound like a broken record, but I CAN’T add the domain as an Addon domain because I need to change the name servers (NOT DNS) to the one of the host, to validate that I own the domain. I can try adding the IP as an A record to the domain but I don’t think this will actually make that much of a difference.

Note sure who your WebHost provider is but only a few (annoying ones) require Addon Domain validation. NameCheap for example does:

https://www.namecheap.com/support/Help Center/article.aspx/897/29/how-to-create-addon-domain

Under this situation you would need to follow one of the other validation options. In particular the DNS-TXT entry outlined in the link above would be the easiest. You would just make a TXT entry with the code they provide and that’ll validate it and keep it validated.

I managed to find a solution. The host was able to activate usage of external dns servers so that I could simply put my IP into the DNS and handle this through that.

1 Like