Swap wordpress website that's hosted with Cloudflare, with another domain

Hi there,
I’m hoping that you might have some insight on a website issue I’m having. I own two domains, both of which I bought through Godaddy. However, the name servers are hosted with Cloudflare.

Website #1 is a fully developed wordpress site, and I want to swap this one with another domain that I own (also through Godaddy). I don’t to set up a redirect, I want the website files to actually reside on the new domain.

Can anyone advise how to do this? Is this just a matter of changing the nameservers?

I called Godaddy and got some pretty good support but they recommended that I check with Cloudflare before continuing.

I want to make sure that all of the image links aren’t broken when I make the change, or any other issue.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

This has to be done at the host. Cloudflare will proxy whatever your host provides.

You can also use a site migration tool that will change all the URLs to match the new site.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Forgive me but I think I may have explained this incorrectly. The people at Godaddy said that the nameservers are hosted with Cloudflare, and that getting in touch would be the first step in making this change.

When I check the domain in godaddy, I see that the nameservers are pointed to Cloudflare and that the DNS information cannot be displayed there because it’s not managed by them. Does this make any sense? Sorry I’m new to this.

Is there a migration tool that you recommend?

I’m a little bit confused: you have two domains

Which domain is now using Cloudflare nameservers?

The old one or the new one?

1 Like

Sorry about the confusion, I’m confused myself! I’m doing this for a friend who has no tech experience whatsoever. To answer your question, the old website shows Cloudflare as the nameserver. The new one shows something called domaincontrol.com.

It looks like she bought two domains using godaddy. I’m trying to figure out where her website is hosted exactly. When I look in her Godaddy account, the nameservers are pointed to Cloudflare, which would lead me to believe that the site is hosted there. But when I log into her Cloudflare account, the hosting is listed as “by proxy”. So how can I find out where the website is hosted in that case?

The DNS records here should have an IP address in “A” record entries. Use this to find out where the site is most likely hosted by tracing the IP address:

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.