Support Node 18 in Pages, or allow config

The current version of Node (18) isn’t supported in Cloudflare Pages. While I know that’s on peoples’ request list, it would also be nice to be able to manually configure Cloudflare Pages in the meantime to use 17.

The NODE_VERSION env variable is ignored if a .nvmrc or .node-version file is committed to the project. In my current setup, I have that set to 17, but since locally I develop in 18 I have a file with .node-version in it. I don’t want to simply use 17 because it’s in a monorepo with lots of other stuff, and I need to ensure things work on Node 18. Pages simply deploys the docs, which could be built with an older version.

So it would be nice for the NODE_VERSION env var to take priority over the local file, or something. Because as of now I can’t use Cloudflare Pages without taking the time to backport my projects to a now-deprecated version of Node.

Pages uses nvm so it should follow any priority or inheritance that nvm uses.

Node 18 support is coming in the new build image - you can give feedback or feature requests here:

3 Likes

Awesome! Will try that, thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,

The version 18 is now the LTS of Node (since a while), so the go to for any new project and the version that most project should migrate to get up to date patches, and is not supported yet? I’m having this issue reported here “Pages build failed when using Node 18 due to missing GLIBC”:

08:52:23.606	Attempting node version 'v18.14' from .nvmrc
08:52:25.275	Downloading and installing node v18.14.2...
08:52:25.767	Downloading https://nodejs.org/dist/v18.14.2/node-v18.14.2-linux-x64.tar.xz...
08:52:26.517	Computing checksum with sha256sum
08:52:26.658	Checksums matched!
08:52:31.109	node: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by node)
08:52:31.109	node: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by node)
08:52:31.110	node: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by node)
08:52:31.167	nvm is not compatible with the npm config "prefix" option: currently set to ""
08:52:31.169	Run `npm config delete prefix` or `nvm use --delete-prefix v18.14.2` to unset it.
08:52:31.170	Failed to install node version 'v18.14'

I guess it’s something that we have to fix in our setup, could you point us what we have to change in order to make it work?

Hi there,

Support for Node.js 18 on Cloudflare Pages is in Beta testing state right now, and you can join the Beta by joining the Cloudflare Developers Discord server:

Once in, you can go to the #pages-discussions channel and locate the thread Build Image Beta Testing, or visit the following link https://discord.com/channels/595317990191398933/1083706984949358692

Please leave any feedback you have about the beta!

1 Like

We need to release now, so a beta is not an option, so I guess we will need to downgrade our stack to Node 16 LTS that ends support in less than 6 months, then taking into account that this feature has been spinning in the Cloudflare Github page for more than a year, maybe we will need to use an unmaintained, insecure version, or move on to a new provider.

To be honest, it’s a shame that a leading cloud product is not capable to support a key peace of its stack that was released more than a year ago, and is not even the latest version, but the current, active LTS version:

I don’t need to highlight the important role that Node.js play in the webstack, so to be honest I gave it for granted that you support not the last version but at least the last LTS version.

2 Likes

Got same error when trying to switch to 18 GLIBC_2.27' not found

Read what Erisa said above:

2 Likes

Node 18 is now supported in Pages without beta, simply set NODE_VERSION to 18 or a more specific version and you’re set.

If you have feedback or issues with this, feel free to post in

or in the Developer Community: Cloudflare Developers

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.