Subdomains Not Working after changing Name Servers

Hi Everyone,

I just recently signed up for Cloudflare as I heard great things from it. We have a site, oapce.org, which is hosted with GoDaddy. Within that site, we have a bunch of sub-domains, for example, toronto.oapce.org.

When I switched out the name server of the Domain from GoDaddy to Cloudflare, everything was working fine, but our sub-domains stopped working and the sites we in-accessible.

I really don’t know why they stopped working; so I switched back the name servers to GoDaddy.

I’m hoping someone can assist me in this. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated and I would like to use Cloudflare for our website, including our subdomains.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

It would seem as if that DNS record is not configured. Cloudflare will only import a standard set of records when you add your domain and you will need to create additional ones manually.

If you switch back to Cloudflare you should make sure that all necessary records are in place.

I’d first check if you really need Cloudflare. Just adding something because someone praised it is not always necessarily the best course of action. I’d start at support.cloudflare.com to get an understanding what it does and offers.

Sandro,

Thank you so much for your reply. When I had switched the DNS to cloudflare, I did see a list of the current DNS records and "toronto’ was in the list.

Hmm…it was about 2 houra into the switch that I noticed that none of the subdomains were working, so I switched the nameservers back to GoDaddy.

Did I do anything wrong on my end?

Your guidance and assiastance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

At least right now it does not seem to be there.

nslookup toronto.oapce.org chance.ns.cloudflare.com
Server:  chance.ns.cloudflare.com
Address:  108.162.195.33

*** chance.ns.cloudflare.com can't find toronto.oapce.org: Non-existent domain

If you want to switch back to Cloudflare you should first double check the list and change the nameservers only once you verified it.

Thank you so much for the reply.

Once I am logged into the cloudflare portal, can you guide me as to where in the portal I am able to view the list of subdomains?

is it prior to switching the name servers back to cloudflare, or can I pre set and establish this before hand?

You’ll find the records at https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/dns.

You can also configure this before switching nameservers, though keep in mind Cloudflare will remove your domain soon as you are not using the nameservers any more.

1 Like

I have successfully added the missing sub-domains to the account and every site is working as it should.

Thank you so much for your guidance and expertise.

Much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.