Subdomain with a free account

Is it possible to create a subdomain with a free account? I have built a microsite for an activity (with Canva website) and want it to be linked through our Cloudflare address as a subdomain. Is it possible? I tried to do it with a CNAME and get error code 1004, CNAME record is invalid. If I insert it as an A record, the system accepts it but when I navigate to the site, it’s blocked, saying that the site has been redirected too many times.

Thanks for guiding me through this. I am a newbie and I’m trying to understand the system.

Yes.

What is the domain and subdomain, and what is the CNAME you are adding?

You have to change your SSL mode in Cloudflare from Flexible to Full (strict). You need to do this whether you use a CNAME or an A record, it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Thank you SO much… It seems to be this
«You have to change your SSL mode in Cloudflare from Flexible to Full (strict) . You need to do this whether you use a CNAME or an A record, it doesn’t matter.»
I have to wait for the domain verification from Canva and it says that it could take up to 72 hours.
I will wait and see!

I didn’t have to wait that long… it worked THANKS!

It actually is now all FUBARed. My main website stopped working. So I deleted all the new DNS records, switched back to flexible and still, it doesn’t work.

What does “doesn’t work” mean? What error do you see?

I’d really advise against that, as it disables https encryption for your site. If your main website doesn’t have a certificate, you can get one for free here:

1 Like

I get a 1016 error.
I will check out the origin CA certificates.

A 1016 error would could mean that you accidentally changed the DNS record for your main site, though that’s hard to say without knowing the domain and what DNS records you currently have (and what it’s being used for).

I don’t know if this can help.

Are those all of your records? There is no record for the name lescompagnons.org (A or CNAME).

1 Like

That’s all there is. I must have deleted it. I have been trying to find the ip4 address to be able to add a A record. I can’t find it anywhere. I just saw that I could have exported the DNS records before starting to play in them. Not very smart on my part.

You can head to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/audit-log, it should be in there if you deleted it.

1 Like

THANK YOU!!! I found it and I sure did delete the A record. I know just enough to get me in trouble. :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks again. All is good. I will work on the sub domain and the origin certificate tomorrow. I will be able to sleep soundly knowing that I didn’t botch everything.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.