Subdomain troubles

Hi, I’m setting a subdomain to my main domain.

First, can I do it with a free cloudflare account?

If so, I set the subdomain as CNAME illustration and IPv4 address elgatoproductions.net which is my main domain.
So the address shall be http://www.illustration.elgatoproductions.net/
which does not work.

Please help!

Hi, you would have to add www.illustration as a CNAME name too, if you want www.illustration.elgatoproductions.net to work. Currently, only illustration.elgatoproductions.net is set up. You’d also need to set it up on your web server / web hosting.

Hi Tom! Thanks for the tip.
I did the set up on my web hoster.
They said to set it up as A type.
Now I get a secure connection error though.

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.illustration.elgatoproductions.net. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

How to solve this?

Sorry, my fault, I forgot a thing: Cloudflare, by default, only secures your root domain and the first subdomain level. In this case elgatoproductions.net and *.elgatoproductions.net. You’d need to purchase a certificate containing www.illustration.elgatoproductions.net or *.illustration.elgatoproductions.net from Cloudflare for that.

A cheaper alternative would be to disable Cloudflare :norange: proxying for this DNS record (set it to :ngrey: DNS-only, which also disables most Cloudflare functionality for that one) and use a CA like LetsEncrypt to secure this domain. Keep in mind that it’s not automatically managed by Cloudflare in this case.

At the moment, Cloudflare does not return a certificate for this subdomain.

Here’s a link to the support page with information about Cloudflare’s custom hostname SSL certificates. You’d need the $10 one if you want to go with the first solution:

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.