Subdomain Invalid SSL Certificate

Hello there,

I’m facing an issue with my Origin SSL certificate. I have a subdomain called discord.example.com. When I visit the website, it prompts me an Invalid SSL Certificate error message. I have checked my DNS settings and I don’t seem to find anything wrong. The certificate works perfectly fine on the main domain.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Error 526 indicates Cloudflare is unable to successfully validate the SSL certificate on the origin web server. Make sure you have configured a valid certificate on your server. See this 526 Community Tip for suggestions.

1 Like

Isn’t it supposed to be a valid certificate if it’s working perfectly fine on the main domain? It’s just the subdomain that’s having the issue

The certificate needs to cover the site. Certificates typically cover example.com and *.example.com, but many hosts only issue certificates for specific hostnames, such as example.com and www.example.com. You’ll have to ask your host to issue a certificate for the specific hostname of your subdomain.

Understood. Just a small question, I have to ask my host to issue a certificate for my subdomain even though the certificates are from Cloudflare?

If you’re using a Cloudflare-generated Origin certificate on your server, and you didn’t use the default cert that included the subdomain wildcard, you’ll need to generate another certificate.

Another certificate specifically for the subdomain or for the whole server? The certificate I currently have, from Cloudflare, includes the subdomain wildcard.

And this is the certificate you installed on your server?

Yes, that’s the one being used.

How, exactly, did you install that certificate on your discord server?

The certificate is installed via the cPanel. I wasn’t issued a certificate by my hosting, initially it was a Self Signed certificate. I installed a certificate from Cloudflare instead.

You’re running Discord from a cPanel add-on domain?

I’m actually new to this stuff myself. I believe what I have is an A record in my DNS that points to the discord subdomain. Just to clear out any confusion, the main domain is example.com. I have a subdomain called discord.example.com which redirects to an invite link to our discord server. That’s where the issue arises.

Then your issue is with Discord, not a certificate on your server. You’ll have to work with Discord to make sure it has a valid certificate for your subdomain.

On the bright side, it’s awesome that you’ve installed an Origin Cert on your own server. That gives it a nice secure connection from end to end (for your main website).

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance but how could this be related to Discord? I mean it’s just a simple redirect that leads to a discord.com/invite/inviteCode link. I’m not integrating anything or whatsoever, so how could this be an issue from Discord?

I checked and realized that my discord.example.com subdomain is not listed under Installed SSL Websites list in my cPanel. Could that be the reason I’m facing this issue?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.