Yesterday I got the bind file to import Cloudflare settings for a domain, from another Cloudflare account. Everything looked the same on the DNS settings, so I went ahead at the registrar and switched the nameservers to point to my Cloudflare account.
But there was a problem - so I went back to the registrar and changed the nameservers back to the original Cloudflare account.
But, four hours later, the nameservers point to the original account, but the Local nameservers are pointing at my problematic account…
The parent nameserver j.ca-servers.ca. reports your nameservers as:
Local NS Tests
The local nameserver elsa.ns.cloudflare.com. reports your nameservers as:
I have a ticket into Cloudflare, but I’m wondering if there’s something I can do within my account to at least fix the issue temporarily.
The issue is that on the original account, the A record was 22.214.171.124
On my account, the A record shows as 126.96.36.199
Adding to the confusion is that these A records are not actually in the Cloudflare settings of either account - they’re being set somewhere, but not through Cloudflare, so it’s not as if I can simply correct the A record through Cloudflare settings.
I’m just wondering if I could create a new A record in my cloudflare, and force it to go to the A record that was coming up when the original Cloudflare account was fully in place…