Strange Performance issues

Hi,

I’ve used CF for years on Wordpress sites and this is the first time I have seen this. I’m not any kind of expert though. We normally just use it with default settings and it works great.

We have a VPS in the US, and one of our hosting clients is in the UK so we installed CF on his site so it would perform better in the UK.

Our server runs LiteSpeed and we have LSCache running on the site. There is a single setting related to running both LSCache and CF (as far as I know) and we configured that setting appropriately. This is on a free CF account and I have just left all other settings on CF as default.

When running CF, the site loads faster for the client and his customers in the UK which is great since that’s why we added CF. However, here in the US, the site doesn’t even load properly. It takes upwards of a minute to load, a lot of the content is missing and the formatting is completely messed up. Basically, the site is unusable in the USA.

The site is for a local service so it’s not as if he has clients in the US trying to view his site, but I’m sure he has people he knows in the US and if any of them try to look at the site it will be messed up.

When I pause CF, everything works fine, but then of course it’s slower in the UK since the server is in the US.

I also checked with someone in the Philippines and with CF running it works great and is fast for him as well.

The site is https://dentdetailpdr.com

Anyone have any ideas?

Are you getting a high amount of traffic? Is there a spike in activity? If you think your site is under attack I’d active IUAM (I’m Under Attack Mode)! Showing a Javascript challenge to all visitors! Show me a screenshot of the network analytics and traffic analytics

No, the site isn’t under attack. This problem has been consistent for weeks for me. Are you in the US? Does the site load normally for you?

WAIT! I’m getting 522 error!

Error 522 occurs when Cloudflare times out contacting the origin web server. Two different timeouts cause HTTP error 522 depending on when they occur between Cloudflare and the origin web server:

Before a connection is established, the origin web server does not return a SYN+ACK to Cloudflare within 15 seconds of Cloudflare sending a SYN.
After a connection is established, the origin web server doesn’t acknowledge (ACK) Cloudflare’s resource request within 90 seconds.

Yeah that happens to me sometimes too. But the VPS is fine. I get that 522, I sign into CF and disable the service, site is fine and fast in US.

Plus there are no problems in the server logs. I can’t figure it out.

I’ve never tried to use CF on this server which is the first one I have used with LiteSpeed server and caching, but it’s supposed to be compatible.

And, when I’m getting 522, the client in UK and my friend in Philippines see the site just fine.

A Error 522 indicated Connection Timeout, so if the connection times out for you it does not mean it also times out for others.

I just tested your site and frankly there are a lot of thing going wrong:

Beside the fact the console logs 64 Errors your TTFB is at about 16s… which is insane high.
But its just so high for dynamic content
So just for content which CloudFlare itself does not serve, but actually proxies from your origin server.
This proves there is in first place nothing wrong with the speed of CloudFlare itself, otherwise also all other assets would have been slow. But the performance problem is occuring on your origin server.

I also see from the header, you are using APO. which is good as it should speedUp your site. I honestly do not have to much expertise with APO and can not say for sure if APO is the problem or not, nor if APO can or should solve the actual problem of having a very slow responding origin server.

So why is it always running slow through CF when viewed from US but great overseas, and why does the site instantly run very fast when CF is turned off? I’m not arguing. Just confused.

Just tested again:

No 522 Errors anymore and loading within 1.6s (10 times faster then before)
I can not tell you why exactly this is happening as there are just too many variables that could affect this.

I just tag @yevgen as hes the guy for APO, maybe he can tell some more about. But for me its hard to do any further judgements as I do not have any usfull infos to do so.

I’ve opened a ticket with LiteSpeed. Will report back if they have any idea what’s going on.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Friendly reminder not to trust anyone in the internet :blush:

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.