Strange cloudflare caching issue only on browsers

I have an api where I cache the get api endpoint in Cloudflare using rules:

Cache Level: Cache everything
Edge cache TTL: 1 month

I invalidate the cache using Clouldflares api (it’s okay if cache is stale for a minute or so). Everything works if I visit the endpoint in the browser (i get the current fresh data). It works if I fetch the endpoint in node using node-fetch. It works if I get the endpoint with postman. So far so good. Works as expected.

However, if I fetch the endpoint using fetch api in the browser (both in my app and by fetching it in the console) I get old data. Very old data (days old so not just that cache hasnt had time to propagate the invalidation).

And of course then I think “must be some kind of browser cache issue” but it seems not because:

1. Still wrong even if I a) disable cache b) open in incognito mode c) clear all the browser cache.
  2. I get the same issue on other browsers and even other computers that I never visited the endpoint with.
  3. If I turn on Development Mode in Cloudflare to bypass the cache then I get the correct data and as soon as I turn of Development Mode I get the old incorrect data again.

That makes me think it can’t be a browser cache issue (because why would that be affected by turning on and off Cloudflare cache). But I can’t understand how the CF cache can be correct for everything except when fetched using javascript in a browser (directly in browser works as does javascript outside the browser).

Any idea what the issue can be?