STOP USING hCAPTCHA

Hello,

Maybe hCaptcha is not very easy but bot protection is better. I never had problem to solve this task.
Some one give screen shot - yes you need to take a second to find plain or dog but I am sure you was able to solve this task.

Google reCaptcha sometime is more problematic because you select all valid answers but you are getting message, that you need to solve it again - not because the previous one was wrong - but just because they are not sure. From other hand there are solutions which allow to workaround reCaptcha by bots.

Maybe person’s complaining her want reCaptcha because they have already such solutions which allow to workaround the reCaptcha by bots. This is my suspicion, maybe I am wrong.

Were you able to solve this task? I am sure you were.

■■■■ yeah,
At first day when trying to solve hCaptcha, I feel everything are just downgraded, it might be cause of the user xperience, hCaptcha has really suck example of images, and also the pagination make me mad all the time.
Pretty sure next time if there’s a web using hcaptcha, I’ll just find the alternative instead of using their captcha lmao.

They have to improve the User Xperience, especially when the users are on solving captcha.
If they can’t solve that, Cloudflare must provide options which captcha that wanna be used by each users, so I people doesn’t need to use hCaptcha untill they have improvements.

2 Likes

I’ve flagged this due to unnecessary offensive mud-slinging toward the developer.

Why is it that most of the people hating hCaptcha in the feedback here have just registered within the last 30 minutes to a few hours?

I think many of the users here are not actually Cloudflare customers, but visitors to Cloudflare sites, although some are site owners as well.

For users receiving captcha challenges, here are some explanations why you may be:

As for Cloudflare changing captcha provider, AFAIK there has not been an announcement from them about this, and the community don’t have any more information. There has been mixed feedback here on the community, many pieces of positive and negative feedback about the change. Maybe we will hear something from Cloudflare as to why, however the community can’t directly do anything about the change. Leaving feedback here is a good place for Cloudflare to see customer’s views, however there is no need for feedback to be rude and, as always, any posts not in line with the community guidelines can be flagged.

1 Like

You’re right. I hadn’t thought of that. I regularly test my sites as if I were coming in as a visitor and do so under various conditions, one of which is intended to trigger security measures. When I initially experienced the hCaptcha, I was surprised as I had no info regarding the change. But I can say this: I am thrilled that the move away from Google’s implementation was made. As a site owner and as a site user.

1 Like

I really start loving hCaptcha over reCaptcha. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Only problem is about the image loading time… :man_shrugging:t4:

Please add to users to chose the captcha! The hCaptcha is very slow.
I would like to get back google recatpcha.

4 Likes

I am sure Cloudflare taken this step to study and label each users who pass the captcha. And make their product more better.

I am sorry, but I think you are lying.

I don’t work for Cloudflare and have no incentive to lie. “We” is the company for which I work. We’re just a small Cloudflare customer, and we’re always evaluating alternatives. reCAPTCHA has been a thorn in our side for a long time.

First, when you logged in google account 5 times does not happen.

Correct. Unfortunately, a handful of our users refuse to log into Google. Call them privacy-conscious, paranoid, whatever–they’re our customers, and we don’t want to make them feel unwelcome. That means we don’t log into Google when we test.

It is just the main problem is that recaptha can just not work AT ALL (reject to work) if your score is too low like with Tor.

I specifically searched for this as I know what cloudflare is, and for example btdig and some other sites still have recaptcha, so I was very surprised about what the heck is this new captcha and maybe how to turn the old on. Then I just saw a :poop: show here… Could not stop myself.

It is just the main problem is that recaptha can just not work AT ALL (reject to work) if your score is too low like with Tor.

Yes, and it’s quite unfortunate. We’re seeing a significant increase in legitimate, anonymized traffic from privacy-conscious users. Many of those people also prefer to avoid Google and clear their cookies regularly, making it difficult for a service like reCAPTCHA to establish trust based on anything other than IP address.

When reCAPTCHA works, it works great. When it doesn’t, it’s a royal PITA.

I specifically searched for this as I know what cloudflare is, and for example btdig and some other sites still have recaptcha, so I was very surprised about what the heck is this new captcha and maybe how to turn the old on. Then I just saw a :poop: show here… Could not stop myself.

According to a comment on Hacker News that appeared to be from a Cloudflare employee, Google decided to start charging Cloudflare for reCAPTCHA. They claimed that for free Cloudflare accounts alone, it’d cost Cloudflare $10M+/yr. They also claimed that Cloudflare pays hCaptcha, not the other way around. Here’s the exact quote:

FYI: hCAPTCHA don’t pay us. We pay them.

ReCAPTCHA decided to start charging for their service (which they have every right to do, but it was a surprise). Just to use ReCAPTCHA on our Free customers would have cost us $10M+/year, which was untenable. We’d been concerned about the privacy issues around using a Google service for some time, and this was the kick in the butt we needed to move off of them.

hCAPTCHA has been incredibly responsive so far to improving their service, something even at our scale we had a tough time getting from the ReCAPTCHA team.

Ultimately, we’re working toward entirely eliminating visual/audio CAPTCHAs. But, until then, we are enjoying working with the hCAPTCHA team.

I also had to signup for the first time. I am an enterprise customer paying a fortune for the service. I needed to mention my horror at this change, and our inability to effectively mitigate attacks (get the service we pay for) with this awful, awful change.

Hi @chedburn,

As an enterprise customer, have you discussed this with your account team as well? They may be able to assist and pass your feedback on.

2 Likes

Google decided to start charging Cloudflare for reCAPTCHA.

Oh wow! That’s very interesting. If it’s true - I wonder why this hasn’t been publicly mentioned. I’ve not heard anything regarding this in my support tickets. I’d be more than happy to pay extra for reCaptcha, as really there’s nothing else that is viable.

hCaptcha like bullshit. Till now, I could not complete this ■■■■ captcha, so angry !!!

I will vote against hCaptcha.

hCaptcha is very heavy and loads a lot of useless stuff like sentry.io things. Just like reCAPTCHA, hCaptcha is stealing your privacy as well.

As you can see, there is no way hCaptcha is better than reCAPTCHA,

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be easier if users can choose with type of Captcha they want used on their site? It shouldn’t be hard to implement…