SSL Necessities

ssl
pagerules

Hi there,

So I had a couple of quick questions I was hoping you could answer for me.

1. So, I’m a bit confused on the whole SSL thing using Cloudflare. I have an SSL with my hosting provider. But I also have the Shared Universal SSL on Cloudflare. Do I need both? How does it work?

2. If I get the dedicated SSL with hostnames as a Pro account, do I still need a positive wildcard SSL with my hosting provider? Or does that mean CloudFlare Takes care of it? Like if I were to have any subdomain, the SSL would be applied?

3. Not about the SSL, but if I were to do a pagerule. Can I set a pagerule that will only affect subdomains?

I’ve got some questions to clarify, but also some answers.

Short answer, you don’t need both. Longer answer, there are two connections that can be secured. The connection between your site visitor and Cloudflare’s edge, and the connection between Cloudflare’s edge and your origin servers. If you want to secure both you can use the Cloudflare SSL for the connection between what your site visitor and Cloudflare and your other :cert: to secure the connection between Cloudflare and your server(s). With both connections secure you could opt for one of our FULL SSL settings.

If I get the dedicated SSL with hostnames as a Pro account, do I still need a positive wildcard SSL with my hosting provider? Or does that mean CloudFlare Takes care of it? Like if I were to have any subdomain, the SSL would be applied?

You would still be on a shared :cert: if you have PRO. You could then purchase a dedicated :cert: as an add-on, for $5/month. But as far as subdomains go, Cloudflare automatically covers your first level subdomain. So sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com would be fine. But sub2.sub1.domain.com would not.

Can I set a pagerule that will only affect subdomains?

Page Rules can be specific to subdomains.