SSL issues and certificate pending validation after one year

Hello everyone,

I need some help with an issue that I have tried to fix for the past year without success.

I have a blog hosted on Siteground, and I wanted to take advantage of the “easy” Cloudflare integration they offer.

I managed to set everything up and then got stuck with SSL issues. I do have a valid SSL certificate in Siteground, and correctly configured from Wordpress side. It all works fine without Cloudflare.

Following the instructions, I enabled the Universal SSL, and applied for Edge Certificates. I applied for two, one for “domain.com”, and another one for “www.domain.com”.

Well, this was a year ago. I got the error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH constantly, and the Edge Certificates were never approved, always in “pending validation”. This went on for almost two weeks, until I had to pause Cloudflare due to the huge amount of traffic I was losing. Nobody was able to visit the website for that time.

I tried looking online, searching the community, blog posts, and tried many, many options. Nothing worked.

Well, it’s been a year since. I decided to give it another go, and I’m facing exactly the same issue. Both certificates are still in “pending validation”, and I get exactly the same error. Again, I have tried a few solutions, but nothing works.

I wanted to ask here to try to find out what I’m doing wrong before finally giving up on Cloudflare and switching to another CDN.

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong? I have asked a few fellow bloggers and I seem to be the only one facing these issues, so I’m running out of ideas.

Thank you in advance.

Hi @user15904,

Their easy integration doesn’t sound too easy to me :sweat_smile: Have you tried contacting them about this? As it’s their integration, they should know it best and be able to help troubleshoot this.

There is a tip on pending certificates here:

We can help a lot more with direct setups with Cloudflare, but partner setups are very difficult for the community to troubleshoot. If you post the domain we can take a took, but hopefully Siteground can help.

1 Like

Hi domjh! Thanks for the quick reply.

Their “easy” integration is far from easy indeed. I did try contacting them last year and told me to contact Cloudflare. I can try again since it’s been a year and the issue is still unresolved.

Edit: I checked and they actually told me that everything was ok from their side, and that it was just Cloudflare being slow in processing the SSL certificate.

Thanks for the link with the tips. I already found that page and checked the steps, actually, so sadly nothing I can get from there. I guess I can always try to open a ticket with Siteground and/or Cloudflare and see if that fixes it.

I posted here with the hopes someone else had bumped into the same issues. I was hoping Siteground was popular enough that someone would know.

Anyway, thank you for the help again! I guess I’ll have to contact support.

And if anyone else finds the issue familiar, please reply here, I would love to know about it!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.