SSL Errors when trying to redirect Subdomain from different Provider through Cloudflare

Hi everyone,

I have the following problem.

I got a Domain hosted at Hosteurope and I’m trying to redirect a Subdomain from Hosteurope to an A Record at Cloudflare, that points to my server with a Nextcloud instance behind a Nginx Proy Manager.

The current setup looks like this:
Domain jukz-rhauderfehn.de is hosted at Hosteurope
Domain spacedrive.io is hosted at Cloudflare
cloud.jukz-rhauderfehn.deCNAME @ Hosteurope pointing to endor.spacedrive.ioendor.spacedrive.io A Record at Cloudflare pointing to the IP of my server and using the Cloudflare Proxy → Nginx Proxy Manager forwarding to the Nextcloud Docker Container without using the Let’s Encrypt certificate.

In this configuration I get the “ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH” error.

I also have another Nextcloud instance running on the server. This one is using a *.spacedrive.io subdomain and it works perfectly.

Since I’m new to self hosting I don’t really know where to start to troubleshoot this problem and I couldn’t really find any solutions, that apply to my setup.
If I need to provide further information, please let me know what would be helpful.

I’m really thankful for any help.

Welcome to the Cloudflare Community. :logodrop:

Does your Nginx Proxy Manager know how to handle requests that contain a cloud.jukz-rhauderfehn.de host header?

Does your Nginx Proxy Manager have a valid certificate for cloud.jukz-rhauderfehn.de?

The answer to both questions needs to be Yes.

Thank you!

Nginx Proxy Manager is configured to redirect incoming requests for ´cloud.jukz-rhauderfehn.de´ to the docker container running Nextcloud.

For the certificate: It doesn’t seem to make a difference if I use a LE cert or not. The error stays the same.

I can get it to work, if I disable the proxy from CF for ´endor.spacedrive.io´ and use the LE cert from the Nginx Proxy Manager.

Does that container know what to do with requests for ? A CNAME doesn’t change the hostname header in an HTTP request.

I didn’t ask about Let’s Encrypt certificates, although you certainly could choose that CA. I want to know if your Nginx Proxy Manager has a certificate for the name cloud.jukz-rhauderfehn.de.

Did you read the article published at the location provided by the automatically linked text in your original post? I don’t know if it will help you or not. It didn’t seem to venture into the two topics that I wild check first.

It may also be that you are having some issue running a reverse proxy behind a reverse proxy, but I’m trying to avoid going down that rabbit hole for now.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.