I am very un-technical, but my site had been working perfectly fine for a number of months and today I went to open the website and was presented with the below error. I have followed other threads and tried to initiate their recommendations but I am still getting the same error on the https version of my site. Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.
The error “ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"" in Google Chrome prevents access to the site because it detects an issue with creating a valid connection to your site. This may be a temporary issue, and should resolve itself within 24 hours.
I would also check out this guide for more steps and information:
Thank you Jake. I had tried all the things in that post that I was technically capable of completing (I am not the most technical of guys), but will go through again and may just need to give it a little more time.
Sounds to me like your SSL certificate expired and you have to renew it.
Kindly, may I ask you to:
Temporary enable the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab of the Cloudflare dashboard.
Or, temporary switch A www and A garyfahey.com to (DNS-only).
Furthermore, contact your web hosting provider, or if experienced a bit more, if you are using cPanel, or maybe Let’s Encrypt, start the process of renewing / reissuing a SSL certificate for your domain(s).
Upon your Websites starts working and resolving over secured (HTTPS) connection, disable the option (or if you went with other way, switch back from to cloud).
Thank you for that advice. I haven’t tried what you have suggested and it is all within my technical skillset so I will try that now and let you know how I go. Very much appreciate you taking the time to help.
Hi Fritex, I have tried the suggestions above but I believe my ssl was the one provided with Cloudflare and so I disabled that and re-enabled it but I am not sure if there is any other way to renew the ssl certificate if it is this one?
The SSL I am using is the Universal one. It still says that it is initializing and cloudflare is where my website is hosted so I am assuming I need to wait for this Initializing status to shift to authorized or similar?
I would have thought it would have happened by now. I understand they allow for 24 hours but I gathered this was a grace period and they typically happen quicker?
Thank you for following up. Yes, we are back up and running. The free SSL Certificate just seemed to remain ‘initializing’ and I couldn’t wait to have the site back up for a program I had so I ended up buying the Cloudflare SSL Certificate and that worked straight away.
It was a bit disappointing to have to buy it but I’ll re-look at how the free one works before this month is over.
I didn’t realise the free one’s seem to need to be re-issued every 3 months so I’ll be on to that next time.
Thank you again for your help - it certainly got me to land on the right place.