SSL Click Tracking with Shopify Error

I apologize if this isn’t enough information, but I am trying to get SSL to work appropriately for a client using Shopify. Normally I just insert the DNS records and proxy the click tracking subdomain with no issues.

I have exhausted all of my resources and I am just not able to find a resolution myself, would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

I am trying to get click tracking to work with Shopify. I am getting the attached error when trying to access the click tracking domain. I have set my CAA to Let’s Encrypt to avoid HTTPS error, but it’s not working.

Will Cloudflare really only work with Shopify with an enterprise account?

I have tried to contact Shopify Support and they are saying this is a Cloudflare issue and they cant assist…

That hostname is not proxied by Cloudflare. It’s a CNAME pointing straight at what looks like Shopify:

% host clicks.samijewels.com
clicks.samijewels.com is an alias for spgo.io.

Right now, that hostname isn’t loading. It doesn’t work with HTTPS, and HTTP returns a 404.

@sdayman It’s actually pointing to Sparkpost i believe. I am actively fooling around with this at the moment. Do you know what value I should update the CNAME to?

I don’t even know what clicktracking is. Whoever’s service it is should provide you all the DNS information you need. Whatever it is, don’t :orange: Proxy those records.

1 Like

@sdayman My understanding is the record is supposed to act as a way to apply HTTPS to links used in emails. Good to know not to proxy the record, I am a bit out of my depth here unfortunately so I don’t have a great technical answer.

Don’t do that. If you don’t have HTTPS at your origin you don’t have HTTPS.

The screenshot you shared earlier is what Shopify servers present when they are sent a hostname that they are not configured to respond to. They are sent that hostname because it is configured, possibly via wildcard, in the Shopify Cloudflare for SaaS account. This means that it technically is a Shopify problem, not a Cloudflare problem, but that is a red herring, so don’t waste any time with Shopify on it.

The solution here is to make sure that CNAME is configured :grey: as @sdayman described.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.