Speeding up mobile side of site v's desktop

Hi,
New to cloudlflare, and its services, so please excuse any silly comments.
We have two websites running very similar products and using the Clouflare Free system, which seems to be fine. We do seem to have major issues with CLS and a few other Google refering issues which we are unsure of. The Desktop version of our sites have brilliant performace metrics, but the Mobile site seems to be around 50% slower and we feel the load speed may be giving Google time to give us CLS issues. Simple question, does the PRO version with the image compression feature help, we are considering this, but only if its a move forward.
Thanks in advance
Andrew

Depends on the suggestions by Google - which item is affecting your web performance score the most. If your image is already optimized from the server side then the Polish (image compression) feature might not help much.

1 Like

You shouldn’t need Cloudflare to get good PSI scores. There are a couple of indices that Cloudflare can help overcome of there are site problems, but a healthy site doesn’t need Cloudflare features for a high score.

Such as: Server response time (Cloudflare can help cheat this one, but it’s not advisable), Images in next gen formats (a bit sticky when it comes to WebP generated at the origin), Cache expiration (Cloudflare can force this setting).

But if your site is too heavy for mobile viewing, Cloudflare can’t fix that.

1 Like

Hi Sdayman, Im not sure if the site is too heavy, like i said the desktop scores are really good, and we do optimise the images before loading so the gains we can get by further reductions are maybe 10kb here and there, so not massive.
I have tried to upload an image of the desktop results, then under the mobile results for the same page, and the times seem very diffrent.
I will need to upload a seperate image as im not allows 2 images

Any pointers would be greatfully appreciated, i will obvioulsy have to realy any info to a web developer as im not technically gifted, im just researching possible causes.

Again thanks fo the reply
Andrew

You may start diagnosing from this. Try to make your server respond faster.

1 Like

Hello Eric
The sites are on a dedicated server running 8Gb of ram on a 500mb sequal database, and im told that the server is beter equiped than i need, again this is only what i have been told, and obvioulsy trusted the information. As i am trying to build a battle plan to give to my developer, what should i be looking at to reduce the server responce time, is it simply more RAM, etc.
Thanks
Andrew

Sometimes it’s not your server capacity slowing down the website - it could be unoptimized codes written by your developer, which takes longer time than needed to return a response.

1 Like

Hello Eric
Thanks for the information, i will realy that back, and see if we can get some performace tweaks.
Thanks again
Andrew

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.