Speed benefits DNS Only vs Proxy

Hello
Seems i loose considerable performance when i enable proxy in the DNS.

I am concerned if i disable proxy it may impact my website security .
Is this founded?
Anyone experience a similar issues?
Any suggestion greatly appreciated .

Of course. Without proxy :grey:: traffic will be routed to your origin directly, so Cloudflare is no longer involved in the connection.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, poor speed is a major issue.
Brings into question if we need the CF pro service at all.
What benefits are there really if proxy is disabled?
What are we paying for?
Perhaps i am missing something here

Other than fast DNS resolution, you don’t really get any benefits from Cloudflare itself.

May I ask where you’re testing this from? Performance will naturally be worse if you’re running the tests on or close to your origin.

None other that CloudFlare’s fast DNS propagation.

When using the CloudFlare proxy: DDoS and many other Security Protections as well as benefiting from having cached content stored at the Edge.

You can compare features and price of all packages here: https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/#overview

Then you can find it your self.

Thank you all for your replys.
Seems these e are the benefits of PRO Do the following still apply if proxy is diabled?
Thank you for your advice.

• Web Application Firewall (WAF)

• Lossless Image Optimization

• Accelerated Mobile Pages

Interesting, may I know why :thinking:. Because I was also facing same issue. My wordpress website loads in 1 sec in india and 600 milliseconds in Vancouver Canada being the Orgin in India

I have no idea why such a thing would occur.
However, i am sure this Proxy …DNS only trade off is not a one of occurrence.Shame really CF is a superb service.

If I make a request to my Origin from a PC on the same network (with Cloudflare enabled), then it first has to travel to the nearest Cloudflare PoP and back instead of going directly to the Origin. This will result in a lot of added latency when testing but does not reflect real world performance as the connecting PC usually will not be on same network as Origin. Therefore comparing #1 with #2 isn’t fair.

#1 Request made from PC on same network as Origin (without Cloudflare):

[PC]
   ↓
[Router]
   ↓
[Origin]

#2 Request made from PC on same network as Origin (with Cloudflare):

[PC]
   ↓
[Router] ⇄ {Multiple Hops} ⇄ [Cloudflare PoP]
   ↓
[Origin]

#3 Request made from PC on different network (without Cloudflare):

[Router] ⇆ {Multiple Hops} ⇆ [PC]
   ↓
[Origin]

#4 Request made from PC on different network (with Cloudflare):

[Router] ⇆ {Multiple Hops} ⇆ [Cloudflare PoP] ⇆ {Multiple Hops} ⇆ [PC]
   ↓
[Origin]

Please note that the {Multiple Hops} does not reflect any specific amount of hops. Having Cloudflare enabled might actually reduce the number of required hops (because of better routing), but the illustrations above do not take that into consideration.

1 Like

I have full page cloudflare caching on and still face same issue @albert

Requests going to Cloudflare (cached or not) will always be slower than requests going to a server on the same network.

But when I have a server in india Mumbai and gtmatrix is also set to mumbai still the load is slow compared to Vancouver Canada

@cloudcreatr sorry, I was mostly responding to OP and elaborating on my point. I have to admit I didn’t fully read your post.

I’d guess this is due to worse routing in India but I cannot say with certainty. Though I agree it does seem a bit extreme that Mumbai → Mumbai is slower than Vancouver → Mumbai.

Could you check which Cloudflare colo you’re hitting when testing from Mumbai?

How so?

You should be able to tell by making a request to /cdn-cgi/trace. The colo field is a 3-letter IATA code - will be BOM if you’re hitting the Mumbai colo.

Ya it’s BOM

That’s the same website with different speeds