Sometimes not receiving emails

Hey guys. I’m having trouble… It seems that sometimes I’m not receiving emails. Specifically it seems to be from outlook and possibly a few other email providers. Used namecheap for my domain, thought it might help if I swapped my hosting to Cloudflare, but I’m not sure if I have everything set up correctly. I’m using google workspace for my email, I followed the guide and put in the 5 different mx values for google into my dns but I’m still not sure if I have everything set up correctly.

I don’t have a website yet but what should I have in my DNS settings for A, AAAA, CNAME, SPF and Dmarc? And will these settings affect email functionality?

Thanks

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with receiving and/or sending e-mails from Microsoft Outlook e-mail client while using Coudflare for your domain name.

Usually, the MX record should point to a hostname such as mail , and the A (or CNAME ) type record for that hostname should be set to :grey: (DNS Only).

I’d suggest you to re-check if you are using an hostname which is yourdomain.com or rather mail.yourdomain.com for a sending/receiving server in Outlook.

If you followed Google’s page on how to setup Google Workspace and Cloudflare, your DNS records should look like something from below screenshot (as an example):

If you are using Namecheap Private Email, then see the screenshot on my post from below:

May I suggest checking below article if your e-mail records (usually the A mail and the MX record) are configured properly while you are using Cloudflare for your domain name:

Yeah I have the email mx records set up like that. I’m missing some of the txt records since I set those verification txt records up when I was using namecheap hosting but I can’t seem to find the verification tokens again in google workspace… Although the email still seems to be working so not sure if that’s it. I’m sometimes receiving emails from outlook/hotmail into my google workspace gmail. But sometimes they take a while or are delayed… Some bounce. Like I said I don’t have a website set up yet either so don’t know what IP i would point my A/AAAA records to.

If you recently setup Google Workspace, for DKIM you have to wait a bit, maybe a day or two due to some verificatio/validator, or I think I had to wait for 4 days - due to Google Workspace for a non-profit setup :thinking:

Later, after validation, I could generated SPF and DKIM record and added them to DNS tab of Cloudflare.

At the end, I just added DMARC as I want to.

That’s a bit strange :thinking:

I remember there were topics where Microsoft/Outlook/Hotmail has had some delays, up from 20 minutes to 2 hours. Not sure why.

Maybe due to a recent event/incident from Cloudflare Status page?:

You can point to a temporary IP, just like I did, for A www and A domain.com I’ve used 192.0.2.1 and for AAAA www and AAAA domain.com I’ve set to ::100.

Yeah I’m not sure… I set up workspace weeks ago. I’m pretty nervous now. As I had clients that had their emails bounce and I don’t know how to make sure everything is going to work 100%

Any tool I can use to make sure It’s working for sure?

And where do you generate the spf, dkim etc

Thank you for asking.

I would also recommend looking into the below article due to further prevention of your e-mails being marked as a SPAM at the recipient’s side:

Nevertheless, using online tools on the links below you could test and troubleshoot more what is going on with your e-mails:

If you are using Google Workspace:

If you are using Namecheap, it’s in their interface:

Other usefull tools to check and generate the needed (SPF and DMARC):

Thanks! It’s weird though I have no option to generate DKIM key. Even though I’ve had my organization active for weeks… and i’m logged in as a super admin

I just had a friend send me an email from hotmail. It instantly goes through after 8 seconds. Then I tell him to send me another one a minute later. I haven’t received it yet… What is going on here hahaha

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.