Error 502 bad gateway or error 504 gateway timeout
An HTTP 502 or 504 error occurs when Cloudflare is unable to establish contact with your origin web server.
There are two possible causes:
502/504 from your origin web server
Cloudflare returns an Cloudflare-branded HTTP 502 or 504 error when your origin web server responds with a standard HTTP 502 bad gateway or 504 gateway timeout error:
Contact your hosting provider to troubleshoot these common causes at your origin web server:
- Ensure the origin server responds to requests for the hostname and domain within the visitor’s URL that generated the 502 or 504 error.
- Investigate excessive server loads, crashes, or network failures.
- Identify applications or services that timed out or were blocked.
502/504 from Cloudflare
A 502 or 504 error originating from Cloudflare appears as follows:
If the error does not mention “cloudflare,” contact your hosting provider for assistance on 502/504 errors from your origin.
To avoid delays processing your inquiry, provide these required details to Cloudflare Support:
- Time and timezone the issue occurred.
- URL that resulted in the HTTP 502 or 504 response (for example: https://www.example.com/images/icons/image1.png )
- Output from browsing to www.example.com/cdn-cgi/trace (replace www.example.com with the domain and host name that caused the HTTP 502 or 504 error)