Sluggish sites and slew of 52X errors - Anyone else?

Out of the blue I woke up this morning to all of my sites being down. I thought it was the actual servers (3 dedicated servers that are in a Virginia datacenter), but I’ve been on and off of them all day without any connectivity issues… With addresses that aren’t proxied seem to work fine, but the ones that are proxied through Cloudflare are hit or miss… Sometimes they come up, sometimes they throw a 520 error, sometimes a 522 error, sometimes they pull up the Cloudflare “Always On”…

https://animemojo.com is one of the sites.

Has anyone else been facing this same issue today?

No , all my sites in Cloudflare are working fine

It’s not opening .

Yeah, that’s the frustrating thing… Sometimes it will open, sometimes it won’t.

I’ve created a support ticket with the hosting center as I’m starting to think that they have some type of network issue…

1 Like

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

I am sorry you have experienced an issue with some 5xx errors so far.

Before moving to Cloudflare, was your Website working over HTTPS connection?

You could determine this by:

1. Use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com .
  2. The link is in the lower right corner of that page.
  3. Give it five minutes to take effect, then make sure site is working as expected with HTTPS without any error
  4. Check with your hosting provider / cPanel AutoSSL / Let’s Encrypt / Certbot and renew it it’s not
  5. Only then, when your website responds over HTTPS, you should un-pause Cloudflare and double-check your SSL/TLS setting to make sure it’s Full (Strict).

May I ask what SSL option have you got selected under the SSL/TLS tab at Cloudflare dashboard for your domain ( Flexible, Full, Full Strict … )?

Kindly re-check any firewall and origin host if Cloudflare is allowed to connect to your origin host to as follows in the below article:

Nevertheless, Cloudflare IP addresses list can be found here:

Hi Fritex!

My sites have all been on Cloudflare for several years. Today is the first time this has happened.

Most of the sites are on “Flexible”. There’s only one that’s on “Full (Strict)”.

I’m not running any SSL or certificates through the hosting company.

Thank you for feedback information.

This might be an issue here.

@sandro wouldn’t be happy to read this, but might have a positive attitude due that one particular, if so …

Otherwise:

Maybe some network maintenance at hosting provider? :thinking:

Thanks for the “pause Cloudflare” suggestion! I just did that for one of the sites and it was lightning quick (like usual)… The issue is that I can’t leave it like that for security reasons :frowning:

There was something at the hosting center earlier (swapping something out at one of the routers), but it was supposed to have a backup and no loss of connectivity… That was fixed this morning, but the sluggishness persists… I guess maybe it is on the Cloudflare end if it went away when I paused Cloudflare…

If you sites are slow and get always online pages and combine that with 520/522 errors, then 90% sure it’s because your origin server is overwhelmed, crashing and/or unable to handle the traffic or load from visitor requests. You’d want to systematically rule out each possibility starting with

1. database queries/slow database MySQL queries
  2. slow or unoptimised web server/PHP server requests
  3. web application configuration i.e. Wordpress plugins forum addons or or web app related slowness
  4. your origin server configuration issues i.e. origin firewall or HTTPS SSL certificate configuration
  5. web host specific issues i.e. web host firewall or security/DDOS mitigation systems in place

It could be any combination of the above listed issues causing 520/522 errors. I recently fixed one of my clients 520/522 issues which they had up to 200,000 HTTP 520/522 status errors per day which accounted for ~1.7% of their total traffic and they had a combination of all the above listed issues that needed fixing. Alot of it was down to poor optimization and configuration by their previous hired system admin help!

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been through all of those. They’re the first things I start digging into when things come up to make sure it’s not something that I’ve done :slight_smile: It’s a very mature custom built CMS (C# & MS SQL) that’s been in production for over 14 years, so the vast majority of those issues have been fixed over the years (tweaking performance, rewriting old code, etc.). All of the sites have also been on Cloudflare for several years without issue and not much has been changed in those settings. Traffic levels are normal, etc… It just started cropping up about 9am this morning out of the blue.

I do have some timeouts here at my office, which tells me there are some issues in the backbone here in Utah, but they’re fairly minor and also I’m testing from other locations in other states.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions! I’ll keep hunting :wink:

It’s absolutely okay, everybody can have as many compromised sites as they wish. Just leaving this here Random Cloudflare memes - #23 by M4rt1n :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.