Slow initial loading times

I’ve set up my website nameservers to Cloudfare and so far love it but I’m curious as to the initial loading time. It’s SUPER slow loading at 12-15 in incognito mode on Chrome (worse than my initial 8 seconds loading time before Cloudfare), then AFTER the website has been loaded and cached the pages load in 1-2 seconds. This, however, I feel is useless as if the visitors has to wait 12-15seconds to visit the site they won’t stay long enough for it to load to then see the rest of the site. I came across some articles and this is a performance test I did - https://www.webpagetest.org/result/190330_W1_3fb40dd71ac466255b87a257a7c4e902/

Is there something not working or I can do t my site to further speed up that first visitor loading time? I’m on the free plan now but if I can get this figured out will go to a premium pro plan.

0 Likes

Your TTFB should be well below 1 second. have a look at this post and if you can, I’d reduce the overall size from 3.6 MB as much as possible and as lower the 64 request if you can. Who is your hosting company?

1 Like

Apologies for the delay in reply, thank you for responding. :slight_smile: I had clicked on that link you sent over but I don’t really understand any of it as I’m not savvy when it comes to caching, development or servers. I only have basic knowledge of wordpress websites and hosting accounts. I know the one I’m on is slow and I have been looking into how to speed it up with no luck. I use SiteGround. Is there another article you know of “basically caching for dummies” that might exist that I could attempt to get my TTFB down? Thank you for your time!

1 Like

I found this thread which seems to cover most of which you’re looking for.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this! I’ll check out that article and see what I can do. :slight_smile:

0 Likes