Site keeps going down roughly 1-5 minutes at a time

Hello,

In the middle of the night my site apparently has started going down quite often a few minutes at a time. I spoke to my web hosting and they said "you just need to contact cloudflare as they have the server side access on it and can fix it on their end in the server side ".

The error is 520, Ray ID: 644055a41eeee3b6

When visiting the site while it’s down it says “There is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.”

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What’s the URL?

That’s either a bad translation, or a misunderstanding. Cloudflare does not have access to your server. Cloudflare is attempting to make a client connection to your server, but it’s not working.

A 520 error occurs when the connection started on the origin web server, but that the request was not completed. The most common reason why this would occur is that either a program, cron job, or resource is taking up more resources than it should causing the server not to be able to respond to all requests properly.

Review the Quick Fix Ideas in this Community Tip for troubleshooting suggestions.

gamerhabitat.com

I copied and pasted it directly from their support, but could have very well been a poor translation. I’ll check out the quick fix ideas, thanks!

1 Like

I have reached out to my hosting support again and they have just said “Cloudflare is handling the domain DNS records and it seems to be causing the issue”. Not really sure what to do at this point. I’m not too familiar with all of this and was really hoping my hosting support could help, but seems like they’re just saying it’s a Cloudflare issue.

Edit: Finally seem to have gotten someone who knows what they’re talking about… Ugh.
“I am sorry for the issue you are experiencing with, I have checked the server end and could see that there is performance issue from server end and admin are working on it causing the website down”

Hopefully they fix it since they are now realizing it’s their problem. Thank you for the help and guidance.

1 Like

That’s the go-to for blowing off supporting a customer. You know DNS is fine, otherwise the site wouldn’t work at all. Cloudflare can not troubleshoot server availability issues. I know you’re just getting bounced back and forth.

Is there any commonality between outages? Certain specific times? Or regular intervals?

There is not. It first started at 5:19 in the morning Central US time according to my outage email report. Sometimes it’s down for a minute, other times 30 minutes. I was just told this from the hosting:

" I have checked the server end and could see that there is performance issue from server end and admin are working on it causing the website down. all the customers who are using the same box are having the same issue, our admins are working on it. Also, they are working hard for a permanent solution since the server had repeated instability issues with the hardware."

Beyond frustrating but I guess it happens. Hopefully this isn’t a common occurrence with them. I recently got hit badly in Google search due to slow site speed and finally fixed all the issues. It took a couple days to rebound but yesterday was a new record for users. I hope this doesn’t set me back again. Might be time to look at some other hosting options.

1 Like

When is the down time (give me the closest estimate to when it gives the error)

@ApplySlayer

It’s been down 35 times since about 9 hours ago. So hard to say. Seems to be up right now so hopefully my hosting fixed their problems. Glad I was able to find a support tech that actually looked into it instead of blaming CloudFlare.

So keep refreshing, it may eventually give the error?

Just continue to Monitor it, and write them everytime when this Error happens. Then they should have the needed Infos to search for the Error in their Logs. When they are not able to fix the Problems you should probably change to another Host. But good to hear that you at least found someone in the Support Team from your Hoster that knows that this is not a Cloudflare Problem

Ha, I guess so. Because it’s down again… :frowning:

I’m quite new to this stuff so I’m not positive if my servers support is full of BS or not. They keep trying to blame cloudflare for all of the problems. They apparently ‘fixed’ their server issue but my site still wasn’t live. I had to change my DNS to be ‘DNS only’ instead of proxy, they did some things on their end, my site theme was messed up for a bit, then I changed my DNS back and it seemed to fix things. But again, they’re saying it’s a cloudflare issue. Not sure if I believe them or not.

Now when I try to run a pagespeed insight on my domain I get this error: “Lighthouse returned error: PROTOCOL_TIMEOUT. Waiting for DevTools protocol response has exceeded the allotted time. (Method: Network.emulateNetworkConditions) (PROTOCOL_TIMEOUT)”

I asked if that would be a server issue, and again they said a CloudFlare issue. Is this true?

edit: Oh my gosh… its down AGAIN

If you have command line access somewhere, you can give this a try as soon as there’s an outage:
curl -svo /dev/null https://example.com --connect-to ::123.123.123.123 (your server’s IP address)

Hopefully it’ll prove an outage, but if it succeeds, it might have just hit a lucky moment in the outage cycle.

1 Like

Unfortunately I have no clue if I have a command line access. Right now the error is “ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS” and they’re saying that is not their server. I have no clue if they’re telling the truth or not.

I’m not seeing the redirect loop. If you open up your browser’s Dev Tools (F12 in Chrome), and look at Network, it should show you a series of redirects and the URLs they’re sending you to. I’d expect it to be between HTTP and HTTPS, but there are other ways to loop.

1 Like

On support with my host again. Was just told “Trust me you will not face this issue again as now everything is configured in right way” so I sure hope they’re right. I do appreciate your assistance and the help you’re giving. Can I hire you as a dev? Haha!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.