Site hompage redirecting to spam site only on Android Chrome

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

How many different people’s android devices have you tried it on (to confirm it’s not just your devices)?

Several, I’m not sure precisely how many users reported the issue but it was more than just my own device.

It’s a strange problem…

You could request the page simulating an android device and see if the page source contains redirects (on Linux something like curl -A “Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 11) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.210 Mobile Safari/537.36” https://<site> > index.html)

It feels to me like the site has been compromised and conditional redirects planted in it

1 Like

Can you share the domain name and/or the URL where you are seeing this issue?

1 Like

Sure, it’s ulverscroftcameraclub.com

Can you post the user agent from this test?
https://whatmyuseragent.com/

Got Android, tested on WiFi and Mobile network, Xiaomi Redmi 7A and Xiaomi Mi Note 10.

Got the same Website, no redirection.

Tested both www/non-www.

Chrome and Firefox.

Have you tried clearing Web browser cache on your Android?

2 Likes

Weird, it’s loading fine for me on android and Windows Chrome, SSL and non. Are the reports that it happens on the homepage, or any other specific page?

Weird indeed. Scan your WP site for malware.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve done this, removed everything that was flagged as an issue, but it was only minor things picked up.

Just the homepage, even the other pages work fine for me on my phone.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 11; SM-G975F) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.210 Mobile Safari/537.36

Yeah this was the first thing I tried :slight_smile:

Hmm, next thoughts:

1. Do yourself and the others observing this share a connection method (e.g. all on the same wifi)
  2. What @sdayman said above, about your phone’s exact user agent

OOps sorry, forum update is so slow didnt see you’d already replied

No problem! No the reports were from various regular users of the site, but they live in various locations so would have been on various network connections

Any other commonality such as a recent app installed? When you say various network connections, is this in the same city? Also, anything funky in .htaccess?

It will be similar area yeah, local community. No recent apps installed. This a WP site btw.

Can you try your browser’s Dev Tools (F12 in Chrome) and put it in Mobile View with a custom user agent string (your Android one)?

Also, do you have access to your server logs? It’d be interesting to see if that first hit is getting to the server before the redirect.

4 Likes

I see you use Wordfence.
Try to scan all the content just in case.

Furthermore, online tools for website scan do not report it as malware or having some bad content on it.
No redirections detected too.

Hopefully, the theme is not being nulled or having some nulled plugins installed beside.

Any Page Rules at Cloudflare dashboard or at htaccess?

Could Yoast SEO do some strange redirection, if so?