Site cannot be reached DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

I added a CNAME record to the domain about eight hours ago.
I cleared CF cache which almost always makes a domain work within 30 seconds or less.
No go. It will not resolve to the host.

site cannot be reached DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

I found an old page rule that redirected the domain and I removed the page rule.
I cleared CF cache, again this makes a domain work within 30 seconds or less.
No go. It will not resolve to the host.

site cannot be reached DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

I wanted to delete the CF record and create it again but it is registered at CF so it tells me I must “contact CF ‘Support.’” ROTFLMAO.

So, I’ve goit got a domain name pointed to a web host using a site slot I cannot use because I cannot use the domain.

Here is the exact statement at the bottom of the screen when I try to delete the domain:

The zone cannot be deleted as the domain is currently registered through Cloudflare’s registrar. If you wish to delete the domain registration please contact support for assistance.

The funny part is this: please contact support for assistance

Maybe if I move the domain to another registrar and then bring it back it might work. But that seems like a heavy-handed approach for a domain that whould already just woirk.

…SHOULD already just work.

I agree, it is better to not let people edit messages they post.

The value of the CNAME loads properly for me and I see the nxdomain error when visiting your site.

If you proxy the CNAME record from :grey: to :orange: does it work?

Thank you, Cloonan,

I proxied the root domain and cleared CF cache.

Now we have a different result which I’ve never seen before:

Error 1014

Ray ID: 7df10e5f3822aa2e • 2023-06-29 20:52:56 UTC

CNAME Cross-User Banned

This indicates the domain name is configured across accounts. I don’t get this because it is only registered once, in its own account. i WILL KEEP DIGGING.

I think the 1014 error you are seeing is the same cause as discussed here wrt the value of the www CNAME record
https://community.cloudflare.com/t/error-1014-solution/526898/2

Thank you, again for helping. I only have the one CRF account.
A few years back I discovered someone had added one of my domain names to their CF account. That caused issues.
I see only two possibilities but admit there can be more.
The CNAME I’m using points to my host (Nexcess) and maybe there is something going on at Nexcess with my domain name, or someone else has added this same domain name to their CF account.
I"m going to start with what I can control and go into my Nexcess hosting account and see if the domain is in use on another install other than the one with the CNAME I’m usin on this new install.

one CF account

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.