I am a home user in the UK.
I have a windows 7 PC, an android tablet and an android smartphone. Having just become aware of yourselves via TV NCIS, I was thinking of installing cloudflare onto all 3 devices.
However, having now looked into it, I may very well have misunderstood the application of cloudflare in the home. Is it of any relevance to me?
I can find a cloudflare app in the android play store; does using this protect my smartphone using the legendary lava lamp or equivalent randam system?
I cannot find a similar addon on Firefox.
So, have I gone on a wild goose chase?
Cloudflare is primarily for protecting websites, however 188.8.131.52 is a DNS resolver that you could use on your devices to encrypt your DNS queries through Cloudflare.
Thank you Dom.
I’m an old COBOL and powerbuilder programmer, so I’m not quite up-to-date with things(I do use Norton everywhere though).
So I can install the app I can see in the android play store and this will at least ensure that I don’t suffer any hacked(?) redirects to incorrect websites?
What about firefox or IE? Can I install something that will always use 184.108.40.206 for my requests?
https://220.127.116.11 has all the instructions for installation on mobile devices and PC.
It is explained in more detail there but basically it is a private, encrypted, fast DNS resolver.
18.104.22.168 is an official app that basically adds a VPN (Virtual Private Network) that routes all your DNS requests through 22.214.171.124.
While there are a few ‘cloudflare’ apps, but they are 3rd Party Apps that any support for those would have to go through the developers of those apps.
As said, other than the 126.96.36.199 usage on devices cloudflare’s service really only cover server infrastructure, so if you had a website, you’d integrate ‘cloudlfare’ with your website, not your home.
The official 188.8.131.52 app is here 184.108.40.206
You may hover over this link and it should display ‘com.cloudflare.onedotonedotonedotone’ as the App ID.
As you listed your devices, I suggest using 220.127.116.11 as an app on your android devices, and you may be able to add 18.104.22.168 as a dns server in your windows 7 settings, but beyond the scope of my knowledge currently as I haven’t used windows as a primary OS since 2013
Thanks to all.
Well I’ve installed the App in android and all seems fine.
Firefox already uses cloudbase as a partner, so that’s sorted.
I have just changed ipv4 and ipv6 in the adapter settings as described in the instruction for Windows 7 64bit (although I cocked it up first by putting them in the IP address fields instead of the DNS!) and all seems fine.
I thought all was fine, but I now discover that speedtest.net gives errors; is this a symptom of using cloudflare 22.214.171.124 DNS?
Do you feel comfortable giving a screenshot of the error?
I ask that because if you don’t blur anything you may be giving your home IP out. And I don’t want to infringe on your privacy nor open you up to doxing
no problem, i’ll blur anything personal…soon
BTW it’s a socket error, and only on EI 11.
Speedtest works okay on Firefox
DNS shouldn’t interfere at all with downloads. A failure with 126.96.36.199 would show as a site that can’t be reached, here you can reach the speedtest.net page.
Some Internet Service Providers make use of 188.8.131.52 as an internal address for their routers. That’s the case here where I live in Brazil. You could test your settings by going to the 184.108.40.206 address on your browser. If this opens a router config screen, then you may not be able to use 220.127.116.11 as indicated.
To circumvent this issue, I have the following in my home PC, cell and table for the 18.104.22.168 service settings:
Preferred DNS Server: 22.214.171.124 Alternate DNS Server: 126.96.36.199 (This one is Google's DNS resolver)
for IPv6 I just follow the 188.8.131.52 app instructions.
Also, if this is not your case, it may help to flush the DNS from your machine. On Windows, open Power Shell as Administrator, and run the following command:
A message should indicate the DNS cache has been cleared.
“Socket error” in the site’s styling sounds to me as if websockets were involved, which are used by Speedtest and which were not supported before IE 10.
That isn’t an error with DNS since the page loads fine.