Should I redirect my site to www.?

I had read somewhere, which I can’t find now, that for Cloudflare it is recommended to have my website as www.mydomain.com rather than mydomain.com. Can anyone confirm this is the case, please? I am so confused about this.

Many thanks in advance.

I’m not aware of a Cloudflare specific recommendation.

There are scenarios where you cannot use Cloudflare on example.com, and have to use www.example.com. These are when you are on a CNAME setup, and on certain partner setups (there are probably others also). These are a result of limitations in the DNS protocol.

In general, there is no difference between the two, and it comes down to personal preference. If you already use one, stick with it. For SEO and other reasons, you should redirect from the one you don’t use to the other. (So if www.example.com is what you use, you should redirect all requests from example.com to www.example.com).

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying this to me. So, performance-wise, there is no difference?

My feeling is that example.com will result in less redirects, so have better performance (by a tiny, tiny, tiny amount). But looking at www.Amazon.com, www.Apple.com, www.Facebook.com etc. tells me the different is irrelevant. So long as you pick one and stick with it you will be OK.

Thank you very much for your time in answering my question. All the best!!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.