Should I pay for two SSL certificates when I use cloud server

I am new to Cloudflare. I have already had a certificate bought from Godaddy and deployed on my server.
But after I moved to Cloudflare, the browser getting certificate issued by Cloudflare which is common certificate not specific to my domain.

I want to have a domain specific certificate, which costs 10$ per month. ( am i correct with the cost?)

If I buy a certificate from Cloudflare i would be between Cloudflare edge to my client… so In that case i still have to pay for Godaddy for certificate at server which secures the content between my server and cloudflare. right ?

Is there a work around ?
Also in one of the forum thread I see couldflare certificate is 5$ per domain, but when I try to buy its showing 10$ per month. Am I looking at the worng option?

Hi @LCorner,

The certificate should still only be issued to your domain, but will have a Cloudflare hostname as the Common Name and your domain as a Subject Alternative Name.
Do you actually have some issue with this certificate?

That is for the Advanced Certificate Manager, which allows you to change a lot of things, add hostnames, choose from Cloudflare’s CAs etc.

That’s correct, you need both the certificate on Cloudflare’s Edge and the certificate on your server. If your host charges a lot for a certificate, you may want to look into Cloudflare Origin Certificates, which encrypt the connection between Cloudflare and your server, but are only trusted by Cloudflare and therefore only work if your traffic is proxied.
https://developers.cloudflare.com/ssl/origin-configuration/origin-ca

There used to be two options for dedicated certificates when large numbers of domains shared a cert, but the old 5$ one is pretty much the same as the free Universal one now as the certs are not shared, therefore both Dedicated Certificate options have been replaced by the 10$ Advanced Certificate Manager option.

Thanks a lot for quick reply…

1. "Do you actually have some issue with this certificate

I dont have any issue, by looking at the certificate details its says issue to sni.cloudlfaressl.com instead of my site… I am thinking of SEO point of view… as my competitor who using cloudflare has the certificate issued exclusively to his domain.

1. " Cloudflare Origin Certificates, which encrypt the connection between Cloudflare and your server, but are only trusted by Cloudflare and therefore only work if your traffic is proxied."

I did not this… anyway, If I use cloudflare all the traffic proxied through cloudflare right… no traffic goes directly to my server, so whats the issue in using Cloudflare Origin Certificate in that case…?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.