Setting up email on Cloudflare

I had three mailboxes hosted on the same server where my website was hosted. Yesterday, I set up cloudflare to improve Pagespeed results using W3Total Cache. Ever since, I cannot connect to my mailbox.

There is an MX record set up, an A record pointing to mail, CNAME records pointing to pop, imap and smtp.

When I login to the webmail, I’m able to send mails but I cannot receive mails.

Is there a way to use cloudflare for hosting my mailbox on the server as it used to be or do I have to go through email routing or use an external smtp server?

Make sure all records used for email are unproxied.

Also, CNAME records pointing to a proxied A record are automatically proxied as well, so make sure you don’t have any of those.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. I changed the CNAME records to DNS only it works on the webmail. Now, I just have issues to connect to my mail app, but I guess I’ll figure it out.

1 Like

If you encounter any further problems, I’m sure we can help if you provide a little more information, like your domain and a copy of whatever error you see.

1 Like

I’m not able to post links on the forum, it always triggers an error. It works fine on the webmail, it’s just my mail app that cannot connect to the mailbox.
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 17.37.02

If you see that via Wifi, could you try using mobile network instead?

That looks like a DNS cache problem to me. I see valid LetsEncrypt certificates if I try to connect to that hostname:

openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect  mail.jamworld876.net:25 -showcerts
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=2 C = US, O = Internet Security Research Group, CN = ISRG Root X1
verify return:1
depth=1 C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = R3
depth=0 CN = jamworld876.net
---
Certificate chain
 0 s:CN = jamworld876.net
   i:C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = R3
   a:PKEY: rsaEncryption, 4096 (bit); sigalg: RSA-SHA256
   v:NotBefore: Feb  3 14:56:22 2024 GMT; NotAfter: May  3 14:56:21 2024 GMT

(Same certificate for imap and whatnot)

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.