Setting up DKIM for Mailgun

Good day to you.

I’m trying to setup DKIM for Mailgun to point to MXToolbox. The selector that I’m including as a TXT is 20180914-mzuohskz._domainkey, followed by the code, which starts with “v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIGfM…”

It fails to validate at both MXToolbox and at other validators. MXToolbox made a number of suggestions, and helped get everyone else validated, but nothing has worked for Mailgun.

I’ll appreciate your suggestions!

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

May I ask you to share your domain name so we could lookup and re-check if the DKIM record is existing and valid? :thinking:

What errors do you get while using those online tools to check?

Is the given value/key “split” or “full”?

Is the other part of the hostname (DNS record) used for Mailgun as a TXT type, mail.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com?

To point to MXToolbox … maybe you want to setup DMARC aside SPF and DKIM and use MXToolbox email for DMARC reports? :thinking:

Thank you for the quick reply. The domain is www.theformtool.com. Our other adds (Rackspace and iContact) work as expected by following the instructions. MXToolbox can’t confirm the selector for Mailgun.

Furthermore, I can see it’s existing and good:

;QUESTION
20180914-mzuohskz._domainkey.theformtool.com. IN TXT
;ANSWER
20180914-mzuohskz._domainkey.theformtool.com. 300 IN TXT "v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDC8/BVHmRZYmgpCPJ10lfW4MdQAdTpR85/932qIxyaw3yDn3YnuFmqYUgTaYpNfBGcL+aLFClEQ4AB8l5LgM7b3vJC6r7vD7lHLEGpYpTTPd+jm5gzAN0csMRSAU9FvedthjfWTFEvnHh3HC3G3cFeVNxJSM/zcge5MfsHvbIKPQIDAQAB"

Google DIG:

I am afraid you might entered one “dot” surplus, or entered the ._domainkey part when you checked for it as MXToolbox adds it automatically :thinking:

It’s fine, see on the link below (or screenshot):

Using Dmarcian, also good:

I’d suggest you to try and send/receive e-mail from Mailgun using online tools on the links below you could test and troubleshoot more what is going on with your e-mails (in case if so):

Neverthless, I would also recommend looking into the below article due to further prevention of your e-mails being marked as a SPAM at the recipient’s side by implementing DMARC:

Otherwise, seems to me like you have two DKIM records? :thinking:
And haven’t entered the correct value for the “name” field of the TXT record? :thinking:
It’s also missing the v=DKIM; part …

;QUESTION
theformtool.com. IN TXT
;ANSWER
theformtool.com. 300 IN TXT "k=rsa; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDPZn8qFJAut0zYiM7DxUxv6XMYzHGvd0P7Qqmr1gqP7yjoCO+BOL1EixYabDps3QK7XFNHHkYPXgAAe9+K7aley3AAGrcUlsVfRpzq7ExS5cPQQVE+oeX8OfEn6kkGzX61ef2nFYG8lNbuwjPPgt1AjTnuJQ521DBn7NWicZks+QIDAQAB"

Or, rather the above one is some surplus record which you should be removed? :thinking:

Or, sorry … you might be using different email services and/or your own server / email provider + Mailgun, so you have two DKIMs correctly set? :thinking:

1 Like

Excellent! Thank you for your on-target guidance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.