Server Level Redirect Query

Hello,

I just wondered if someone may be able to help.

We have a Plugin on a Wordpress website which handles our redirects. However, we seem to have some form of redirect also taking place at the Cloudflare Server Level - which we cannot find as we have not setup any redirects in Cloudflare. I have popped an example below of the issue we are having:

Example 1

This URL:

courses/project-management/agile-training/why-choose-agilepm
is in the Redirects plugin list It should 301 to:

8-reasons-to-choose-agile-project-management-agilepm

but it doesn’t because a redirect on Cloudflare gets there first. If you try to visit:

courses/project-management/agile-training/why-choose-agilepm it 301s to:
courses/project-management/agile-training/8-reasons-to-choose-agile-project-management-agilepm which then 302s to:
8-reasons-to-choose-agile-project-management-agilepm/ (where the Redirects plugin was trying to send it anyway)

Are you using Page Rules or Bulk Redirects? :thinking:

Otherwise, there is some issue with redirection between HTTP → HTTPS.

Nevertheless, WordPress itself knows to behave strange, for example if the URL to some post existed, then the post is deleted, instead of throwing 404 it does redirect to some other non-sense published article.

I’d check .htaccess at the origin host/server for any configured redirections, also disable all plugins at WordPress and re-enable one by one.
Double-check what are the settings there.

Furhtermore, you did shared some of the URL examples, however without the domain name, we cannot double-check the HTTP headers to see what exactly is doing a redirection in your case.

If it’s WordPress, then it’s the plugin to troubleshoot and debug.

Before moving to Cloudflare, was your Website working over HTTPS connection?

You could determine if the redirection is cause by Cloudfalre either by using “Pause” option:

1. Use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com .
  2. The link is in the lower right corner of that page.
  3. Give it five minutes to take effect, then make sure site is working as expected with HTTPS.

Thanks for your reply and we have one page rule in place which is to 301 our domain (nilc . co . uk) to the www version of the domain, that is all. Sorry have to use spaces as it wont let me send a link