Route 53 Hosted (subdomain) Zone using Cloudflare Proxy

Hi All,

I’m trying to determine if it’s possible to use Cloudflare’s DDOS services with a DNS zone hosted in AWS Route 53?

We currently have a DNS Zone and website protected by Cloudflare’s DDOS services (still trying to get details on exactly what services). The website is going through a bit of a re-branding and will become a subdomain of an existing DNS zone hosted in AWS Route 53. My question is this… I ‘believe’ that the DDOS feature that is providing the DDOS protection is the proxy service that sits in front of the webserver which ‘hides’ the actual webserver IP address from the world.

My main question is this, is it possible for a zone hosted in AWS Route 53 to point to the Cloudflare proxy servers and still benefit from the DDOS protection?

Ken

You can only use Cloudflare services for domains using Cloudflare DNS. There are some third-party hosts that can tie into Cloudflare DNS, but AWS is not one of them.

Thanks for the quick reply and info.

1 Like

Unless you are using a CNAME Setup, in which case you can use Cloudflare for a single hostname with your DNS anywhere you like.

2 Likes

Which requires a Business plan, but that would work.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for info on how to host a sub-domain inside CloudFlare. The root domain is hosted in AWS Route 53 and can’t be moved due to some tight integrations but we have the opportunity to use and benefit from CloudFlares DDOS and Http Proxy protection on one of our Sub Domains.

I’ve done quite a bit of Googling and searching in the forums here and have found more than a few references to this being “an annoying requirement” or a requirement. I however can’t seem to find anything in the official documentation to see if this is still a true statement. I did “try” to do it and it did fail so I’m going to assume it’s still true but I figure I would ask before I completely give up on CloudFlare.

Ken

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.