We are in the process of trying out a few different providers for streaming video files to determine which is best for us.
We embedded 3 video files on one web page, ran a few speed and load tests, changed the video embed codes to the same videos on a different provider, and then reran the same tests. Here are some of the notable results and other factors.
Overall rendered page size:
- Cloudflare added the most to the page size.
- Wistia added the least to the page size (likely because they use .jpg thumbnails instead of .png like Cloudflare)
Page load time:
- Cloudflare was the fastest.
- Youtube was the slowest.
- Cloudflare made the least additional requests.
- Youtube made the most additional requests.
- Cloudflare has the least statistics available.
- Youtube and Wistia provide some detailed statistics, and this really depends on what information you are looking for as to which is better.
- Youtube is free (which is both good and bad).
- Cloudflare pricing is based on number of minutes of video content stored and streamed per month.
- Wistia’s plans are per video, and you may see extra charges if you exceed an undisclosed amount of bandwidth per month.
Our team chose Cloudflare, but would definitely love to see reduced file sizes and more detailed statistics.
Thanks for the great service Cloudflare!