Returning users getting stale content after Cache Purge

caching

I recently performed general site upgrade and moved servers. However, many (or all?) return visitors are getting a mix of new and stale content. This is causing various Javascript and rendering errors. The site in question is a Magento 2 installation, and I have cleared its cache, I’ve flushed the redis cache, and purged my Cloudflare cache, yet even I still get old content.

If I open an “incognito” window and visit the site, I get all fresh content and the site works as intended. Alternatively, I can open the browser’s developer tools and choose “disable cache”. Clearing browser cache seems to have inconsistent results.

For reference, are the response headers of a javascript file that I have identified as stale:

HTTP/2.0 200 OK
date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 12:44:35 GMT
content-type: application/javascript
last-modified: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:40:28 GMT
etag: W/"[alphanumerics and dashes]"
vary: Accept-Encoding
cache-control: public, max-age=31536000
expires: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 12:44:35 GMT
x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN
cf-cache-status: HIT
expect-ct: max-age=604800, report-uri="https://report-uri.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct"
server: cloudflare
cf-ray: [alphanumerics]-EWR
content-encoding: br
X-Firefox-Spdy: h2

And here are response headers for the same file when loaded from an incognito window:

HTTP/2.0 200 OK
date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 18:53:54 GMT
content-type: application/javascript
last-modified: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 00:01:57 GMT
etag: W/"[alphanumerics and dashes]-gzip"
vary: Accept-Encoding
cache-control: max-age=31536000, public
expires: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 18:38:09 GMT
x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN
cf-cache-status: HIT
expect-ct: max-age=604800, report-uri="https://report-uri.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct"
server: cloudflare
cf-ray: [alphanumerics]-EWR
content-encoding: br
X-Firefox-Spdy: h2

date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 12:44:35 GMT

That’s the date the request for the asset was made for the client I believe, so I would try purging the cache again. If the client cache TTL says the item isn’t expired it won’t request a new version from the origin.

And the max age is set to 365 days for that object.

cache-control: public, max-age=31536000

As a workaround you might be able to use versioning file.js?v2 to force the client to request the new asset(s).

Thanks for the hint! Turns out Magento has a hidden setting to “sign” static files, so that when new versions of JS and similar are deployed, it creates a randomly generated folder so that the static files get a new URL. By enabling the “sign static files” feature, all of static files were given a new URL and that seems to have solved my problem.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, hopefully it will prove useful to other Magento users!

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.