Reset DNS entries?

I was having trouble with email, so I stopped using Cloudflare on my domain. Back with my old host now, and email is working normally. I suspect I need to delete the domain from Cloudflare and start again from scratch, but I want to check for advice here first.

To summarize, I have discontinued using Cloudflare because email stopped working (not sure why, maybe the email beta…) How to start over from scratch?

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with receiving and/or sending e-mails while using Coudflare for your domain name.

Kindly, see below suggestions and tips for troubleshooting.

Usually, the MX record should point to a hostname such as mail , and the A (or CNAME ) type record for that hostname should be set to :grey: (DNS Only).

Furthermore, if you recently moved your domain to your Cloudflare account, I could try to troubleshoot at first sight without knowing anything other as it could be related to either:

1. Wrongly setup e-mail related DNS records at the DNS tab of Cloudflare dashboard for your domain name
  2. Possibly missing some TXT/CNAME records (for SPF, DKIM, DMARC if so?)
  3. You are using a hostname like yourdomain.com which is :orange: (proxied) rather than the unproxied :grey: (DNS-only) like mail.yourdomain.com (possible this one not existing or is :orange: instead of being :grey:) at the DNS tab of Cloudflare dashboard, in your e-mail client for sending/receiving server (MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc.)

May I suggest checking below article if your e-mail records (usually the A mail and the MX record) are configured properly while you are using Cloudflare for your domain name:

Re-add your domain to your Cloudflare account, change domain nameservers, re-check the DNS records and enable features you want :wink:

Thanks, that’s a lot of info. I’m not going to do troubleshooting on Cloudflare. Either it works with my domain or it doesn’t! I’ll try removing the domain and adding it again. If that doesn’t work I’ll just stick with my original host! I’m not a coder.

1 Like

Feel free to reply back here and share any kind of information. I believe we can figure it out and solve it :wink:

Keep in mind, if you recently added your domain name to your Cloudflare account, therefore changed domain nameservers and pointed them to Cloudflare, you might have to wait a bit more and be patient.

The regular DNS propagation time could take up to 24 hours to fully and completely propagate (sometimes a bit longer, could be up to 48 or 72 hours).

Okay thanks. I changed back to my hosts nameservers today. I also removed the domain from Cloudflare today. I’ll wait until tomorrow to try switching back.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.