Requests Through Cloudflare - Only a Fraction Passing Through Coudflare

I’ve just set up two domains on Cloudflare, one of which is clearly passing all the requests through Cloudflare and is showing use of CDN on page speed tests. Domain is walkupsnowdon.co.uk and has a healthy 58,424 requests in the last 24 hours.

However, my other site isn’t - with only a handful of requests (243 last 24 hours) rather than the tens of thousands we’d expect and a suggestion to use CDN onwebpagetest and GT Metrix. Domain is www.mudandroutes.com

I’m not sure if i’m being impatient as the site in error was only added last night and i just need to be wait a little. All the settings are identical for both sites on Cloudflare, and so are the settings in Wordpress and the Litespeed plugin i’m using. The site is running on the latest Wordpress Multisite, with the site that’s cacheing correctly being a subsite of the one that isn’t cacheing. I’m also getting an OK when i test the Coudflare connection in Litespeed, so it all looks to be working OK.

The site in error is also set up to use Gmail on the DNS records, so i’m wondering if i need to make more complex changes to these settings ?

I’ve also run the page speed tests from USA location as opposed to my default check being in the UK, as that’s where my traffic comes from, but makes no difference.

DNS checks online show Cloudflare as the Name Server.

I had both sites working perfectly with previous hosting that linked them to Cloudflare via cPanel with no problem.

Any ideas??

Cheers.
Dave.

I’ve resolved this now!

For some reason, i needed to create a new www record in DNS.

Simply an A record, name = www and pointing to the same ip as noted next to my non-www domain.

Of course, it may just be that things clicked into place and someone on here might advise if I didn’t need to add the www record.

2 Likes

Hi, usually you need both a record for the root and one for the www subdomain (unless there are specific cases). That is because people will type it with or without.

The ideal scenario is to have all versions HTTP and HTTPS and with or without www go to a single version. That should be HTTPS and based on your preference with or without www.

This you can do via a Page Rule:

If your domain works when you visit example.com, but not when you just visit www.example.com, you may want to redirect www to your root domain using a page rule. You can follow this community tutorial on how to do this.

If your domain works when you visit www.example.com, but not when you just visit example.com, you may want to redirect your root domain to www using a page rule. You can follow this community tutorial on how to do this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.