Requested URL was not found on this server

I have recently acquired a domain which was previously owned by someone else. I changed the TAG to my registrar which has now successfully transferred to my account. I have set up a VPS for the domain and I have now set up the DNS on Cloudflare. I have changed the name servers to the Cloudflare ones. I have tried to view my site but I keep getting this message “requested URL was not found on this server” I copied the DNS of another site I have on the same server which is also configured on Cloudflare so I can’t think what I could have done wrong. Is the problem likely to be due to DNS or due to my VPS?

That message would suggest your server is not properly configured.

But what is the domain?

hdpsc.co.uk

Yep, that’s straight from your server.

OK thanks I’ll try to figure out what’s gone wrong but I’m not too familiar with setting them up. I did one last week as a test and there was no problems with it. I’m sure I did exactly the same!

It might be easiest to pause Cloudflare for now (Overview screen, bottom right) as that will skip the proxies and connect directly to your server. Might be easier for debugging.

OK thanks for that :slight_smile:

I have deleted the VPS and the recreated it, I noticed this on the install. DNS-based validation failed : Requesting a certificate for hdpsc.co.uk and 6 more domains

Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: manual). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: admin.hdpsc.co.uk
Type: dns
Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.admin.hdpsc.co.uk - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

Domain: autoconfig.hdpsc.co.uk
Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.autoconfig.hdpsc.co.uk - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

Domain: autodiscover.hdpsc.co.uk
Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.autodiscover.hdpsc.co.uk - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

Domain: www.hdpsc.co.uk
Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.www.hdpsc.co.uk - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the DNS TXT records created by the --manual-auth-hook. Ensure that this hook is functioning correctly and that it waits a sufficient duration of time for DNS propagation. Refer to “certbot --help manual” and the Certbot User Guide.

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Some challenges have failed.
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

Your certificate validation didn’t pass here.

It might be best to get an Origin certificate - https://developers.cloudflare.com/ssl/origin-configuration/origin-ca

OK this looks complicated, I’ll give it a go.

Origin certificates are actually way easier than traditional certificates, because you can get them issued with a couple of clicks. Only disadvantage is, they only work in a proxied context.

What do I do with the codes that were generated?

You need to configure the certificate on your server.

But, no offence please, if you are not yet fully familiar with managing a VPS, I’d really recommend to go with managed hosting instead. Running a server without the proper experience is not exactly the best idea.

I normally have a guy who sets it up I thought I would give it a go myself. As I said I set one up last week on first attempt I don’t know why this one isn’t so straight forward!

My two cents, be careful with this giving it a go approach, if you do not have right experiene. If your server is not properly configured it can be compromised within hours and your host will suspend it.

It is pretty straightforward, you configure the HTTP server, you add the certificate, the site loads fine on HTTPS, and you can add the whole thing to Cloudflare and proxy it. Your site needs to work fine before you add it to Cloudflare, however.

I just checked it out it’s now showing that site is under construction so the solution must have worked. Thanks for the help!!

Not really, I am afraid. You still have no certificate and an insecure encryption mode on Cloudflare as well.

Oh that’s not great :frowning:

Just follow these steps

1. Change your encryption mode on Cloudflare to Full Strict
  2. Pause Cloudflare
  3. Make sure you have a valid certificate on your server
  4. Verify that your site loads fine on HTTPS without errors (only exception, if you configured an Origin certificate, there you’ll get an authority warning, but you can ignore this in this case)
  5. Once all of that works, you can unpause Cloudflare

OK thanks