Reply to Cloudflare catch-all domain email?

I’m in the process of moving away from GSuite Legacy mail setup. I currently have a catch-all email setup for *@domain.com, which forwards all emails to [email protected]. Is there a recommended setup allowing me to answer to a specific catched email?

For example, I register to an online store with [email protected] and I want to be able to reply from [email protected], even if the email is forwarded to [email protected] domain (which is set as iCloud+ custom domain). The reason I ask this is because I had today the online store asking me to send a reply from the actual [email protected] email account, in order to confirm the online purchase. Which makes sense, to avoid fraud.

I looked at SendGrid, their free plan allows to send 100 email every day, which is more than enough for me. But I’m not familiar how the overall setup will work with Cloudflare. I already added the DNS entries into related Cloudflare account and I’m currently verified and ready to send emails through their SMTP servers. However, since I use the iCloud+ custom email domain, I cannot add any email addresses into default Mail app on my Mac and use them to send email replies from [email protected].

What solution would you propose? I’m not sure if there is a different mail app I could use to achieve my goal, but IMO this is very doable. Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, sending emails through Cloudflare’s email routing is explicitly not supported.

I recommend simply using iCloud+'s phenomenal Hide My Email offering, dependent on iCloud though it is. One thing I really appreciate about it: it’s very easy to keep track of which addresses you have active and record what you are using them for, which means it should be relatively straightforward (if slightly tedious) to transition away from iCloud if you ever want to in the future.

The difference with Hide My Email is that iCloud servers manipulate the Reply-To header of incoming emails to point to a special iCloud address: when you reply to that address, the original sender gets a message from the dummy address.

Speaking of tools like SendGrid, I also recommend using strict DMARC policies, which prevent others from spoofing your email addresses (including yourself, obviously). You may have noticed Apple’s automatic setup already added such a record: they set it to flag spoofed emails as spam, though I’ve modified mine to flag them for rejection instead. If you really want to allow email spoofing, you’re going to want to edit it: look for the TXT record at “_dmarc”.

1 Like

That is exactly what I’m looking for, thank you!

1 Like

Easy thing to miss, by the way: while Hide My Email is included in iCloud+, it is not restricted to iCloud-hosted mailboxes. Each address can be individually configured to forward anywhere you want: you could even self-host your mailbox and have the addresses forward to it. That wouldn’t stop Apple from hypothetically snooping on the addresses, of course, but that’s the price you pay for borrowing their domain.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.