Replace with Cloudflare's nameservers

Hi, I am new to Cloudflare. I use Namecheap for my nameserver, I see that I am asked to move the DNS. Also, it says it will take 24 hours. If I set up nameserver to Cloudflare will this interrupt my service to my user? I am worried to move to Cloudflare’s nameservers.

Why Wait
Don’t wait for an answer, find it fast! Search for #CommunityTip error:
Example: #CommunityTip 521

Test Before You Post
Unsure of the issue? Test before posting using the Cloudflare Diagnostic Center: Diagnostic Center | Check SSL and Test Website Security | Cloudflare

Before you move to Cloudflare’s name servers, you need to make sure all your DNS records are here, just like they are at Namecheap. And make sure any mail-related DNS entries are set to :grey: DNS Only, as Cloudflare does not proxy email.

If all your DNS records match, there will be no interruption during the transition.

If you’re going to use a hostname not covered by Cloudflare SSL, you’d have to use ACM. Personally, I advise you to not use the ‘www’ subdomain in front of another subdomain. Just go with stickycart. Then you won’t have the SSL problem.

2 Likes

Hello,
Thank you very much for the information. I was not aware that subdomains that are 2 levels deep are not in the free offering for universal certificates.

I am internally making requests to api.stickycart.cartylabs.com so I suppose I will continue to run into problems even if I get rid of the www. prefix.

I am assuming that the cheapest option for me would be to move both my frontend and backend endpoints to be just 1 level of subdomain?

That’s free, and the preferred approach.

1 Like

Create advice already said before… One thing I wanted to add was that when you do go to move DNS, FIRST update your TTL’s on your current registrar forr ALL dns settings to their minimum values. If you can do 60 seconds, great, al low as possible. THEN, when it’s time, update your nameservers to Cloudflare’s, Then, AND DON’T SKIP THIS STEP, go into your CF dash, go to DNS for the domain in question, and click the “Check Nameservers” button.

Most of the time Cloudflare will automatically monitor for DNS updates, but sometimes this doesn’t happen, then you have downtime to deal with while DNS propagates.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.