Redirect A record traffic, for redundancy (swappable)

I have a somewhat interesting request. I manage a web server for a number of businesses. a few times now, our hosting company networks have failed (99.99% uptime)…

After the second time, we are pretty fed up, but stuck, because we can’t go to all of our clients DNS providers, and update the A record to point to a different server.

So instead, I have come up with an idea, which I am sure is not novel.

I want to go through one last time, and point our clients A record to a static IP. Then that IP can send ALL traffic to a 2nd IP. Therefore, if 2nd IP ever goes down, I can go into this tool, wherever it is, and change the 2nd IP to a 3d IP on a different server, and not have to go into everyones DNS again.

It’s been rough finding a good solution. I have contacted most of the major cloud providers, and they only offer jury rigged ways of doing this. I was hoping to find a service that could do this.

You’d have to do this with a Load Balancer set to fail over.

1 Like

i also have a similar prob/ question. i’d like to fail safe one service i use like jsdlivr does. i also use perfops and would like to re-direct traffic to 1 cdn providor if perfops goes down, any idea how can do this? like in their infgraphic: https://www.jsdelivr.com/network/infographic

Instead of dynamically distributing traffic, can this also be a manual distribution to a single server?

Also, any way to do this without pointing nameservers to you guys? Just pointed the A record?

Has to be Cloudflare name servers unless you become a partner. I don’t think Cloudflare is the right solution for your situation.

Hey @sdayman.

Last question about this.

If I am pointing an A record to a service, for that service to handle a DNS record of an A record, we are only working in UDP protocol, or could it be both UDP and TCP?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.