Receviced email from cloudflare about SSL certificate observed issuance

Hello

Today, I received the following email from Cloudflare. I was hoping someone could provide me more information in regards to what this is all about and why I have received it

Cloudflare has observed issuance of the following certificate for techbusinessnews.com.au or one of its subdomains:

Log date: 2022-10-14 04:33:05 UTC

INFO HERE KEPT PRIVATE Removed it

Most certificates are trustworthy. However, if the data above is surprising to you or incorrect, please visit Certificate Transparency Monitoring · Cloudflare SSL/TLS docs.

Note that Cloudflare is now issuing backup certificates through Google Trust Services and Sectigo. Read more at Backup certificates · Cloudflare SSL/TLS docs.

This email was requested by one of your Cloudflare account administrators. If you would no longer like to receive it, please disable it under “Certificate Transparency Monitoring” at https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/ssl-tls/edge-certificates#ct-alerting-card.

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

It’s related to the notification for the zone owner about re-issuing the Cloudflare’s Universal SSL / Backup SSL / some other SSL certificate as it seems to me :thinking:

Some kind of a monitoring tool, helpful in hands and cases to detect possible misissued certificates which might cause issue to your users and visitors.

If it was the one at Cloudflare, it might be due to the:

• Universal SSL
  • Backup SSL
  • Or the SSL if you’re using Advanced Certificate Manager

Otherwise what comes to my mind is, if any of your sub-domain hostname has some, like mail etc., might be that one was renwed recently via AutoSSL cPanel or some other way.

You’ve got the “Certificate Transaprency” option enabled at Cloudflare dashboard → SSL/TLS → Edge Certificates.

Useful articles about this:

Hi there

Thank you for coming back to me.

i am actually getting flooded with these emails. They are all being sent by Cloudflare.

I have both a free SSL cert provided by my webhost and using the Cloudflare (Flexable) SSL option.

I have never had this before.

Now, I have just disabled and re-enabled the universal to flush and renew the Cloudflare cett and I a still getting these emails from Cloudflare

Cloudflare has observed issuance of the following certificate for mysite .com or one of its subdomains:

Log date: 2022-10-14 13:10:30 UTC
Issuer: CN=Cloudflare Inc RSA CA-2,O=Cloudflare, Inc.,C=US
Validity: 2022-10-14 00:00:00 UTC - 2023-10-13 23:59:59 UTC
For domain - mysite .com (hidden this)

Disabling the option @fritex referenced should put an end to those emails.

1 Like

Hm :thinking:

I could yes in case if we have got a lot of Websites/zones at Cloudflare account or maintain and manage multiple different CF accounts (as a “sub-member”) from other people, personal, freelance, business, etc.

Also, if those certificates are on short period, like 1 month Let’s Encrypt be it Universal SSL from Cloudflare, then the backup SSL, then SSL from LE or ACME or AutoSSL on cPanel hosting (where ther are at least 5-10 sub-domains which could have it’s own rather than just one …), then that could be also the case.

Or, something might be stuck “on-the-fly”, but I cannot tell except if there is some issue with renewing or you have some error shown at Cloudflare SSL/TLS for your zone :thinking:

You can lookup for each on:

Thank you both for your input and advise.

I don’t recall turning that option on. However, I have turned it off as recommended.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.